Cali Kid Corals

Fungia coloration, spec: Blue.

So I've been seeing quite a lot of fungia recently with a similar trait. They are all similarly shaped, with an orange mouth and a slight orange ring around the edge. They to me appear similar enough that I'm going to assume they are coming in from the same source and are the same species. They seem to vary widely in color, but frequently show dark purple or blue as a base color. There's one on the counter at neptunes right now if you want to see it firsthand.

I've purchased two of these from different sources now, not exactly the same colors but similar enough that I feel they fit this specific "type" for lack of a better term. One has yet to arrive, but the one that I purchased several weeks ago was nothing like the picture online. It's brown as brown can possibly be. I hesitated on purchasing the nicest of these variants because of this experience, but recently ended up ordering one that was a more uniform color from a different vendor as an addition to get the shipping minimum. I kind of feel like a sucker though, hope it's not going to be brown on arrival like the other one was.

So to get to the point, is blue a difficult color to maintain in fungia, or could there be a specific component I need to add to encourage the expression of blue?

In addition to these other two, I have had an orange streaked fungia that was very very bleached when I purchased it, and as it colored up showed slight blue tinting in the non orange streaks, but this faded out and they are currently "flesh tone". In my previous experiences, fungia don't usually brown out completely and you can usually tell what colors they will show.

While the lacking blue in my other fungia has nothing to do with the coral that browned in shipping (or before?) it makes me wonder if I need to adjust a parameter to see blue in my fungia.

Any thoughts?

Unrelated RC thread with an almost identical experience to mine with a fungia sharing these traits.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1854588

Slightly different color morph than mine, and his arrival pic is clearly a live coral, just browned out in shipping.

Back