Fungiid Propagation Experiments

Discussion in 'Propagation' started by Mr. Ugly, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

Any updates with any of these?

2. Sfork

Sfork Guest

Mine just turned dark, I think leaving it out in the light allowed algae to take over, I moved it to a dark spot about a week ago.

3. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Mine didn't turn out so well. When I went to pull the 'legs' off the coral, it ended up breaking the coral into pieces. It's now in 3 pieces, with the smallest section still glued to the 'leg'.

4. Apon

Apon Volunteer

I actually did this to a hitch hiker fugia I have - its green with an orange mouth. It was on a side of an orange hammer, about the size of a dime. I pulled it off and placed it on the sandbed. in a few months it grew to 3 inches, and there was another dime size one on the hammer again. I have pulled them off about 4 times and so far a new one keeps growing back from where I pulled. I even broke one in half when i pulled it off and gave it to Ben, 2 months ago. Its a full circle now and much bigger.

5. Sfork

Sfork Guest

Arnold was it under light or shaded by the Hammer. I'm trying to figure out where to place these plugs.

6. Apon

Apon Volunteer

nope not shaded as the baby, but I have put the adults in both bright and shade- they do fine, they look better in light though.

7. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

I think this thread has gotten a bit to wide and needs to be narrowed down. Not all fungia are hard to get to produce pups and lumping them all together IMO will do this thread a disservice.

Yours sound like Fungia fralinae which tend IME to spit out babies like no ones business. In other words, it's one that takes no effort unlike most others :)

8. Apon

Apon Volunteer

ok with me

9. Sfork

Sfork Guest

Well I'm not sure why but the plate i pulled the bottom out of never really healed, the mouth is receding but the surrounding area still has tissue. I think it's had a hard time healing with all the sand in the way.