Gablami's Reefer 525 Build

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by Gablami, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Gablami

Gablami Supporting Member

Thanks for the compliments :). First of all, this community has been great, and I've learned a lot from threads here and from friends I've been able to make "in real life." I am also nowhere near an expert, and I'm making changes probably because my tank is not where I want it to be.

Two AP700 is more than enough light for a 6 ft tank (like the 750xxl). For my 5 footer I wasn't even up to 40% intensity (though I was increasing it). I did par measurements in another thread and the AP700s had lots of light to spare. I bet most people can't run these lights at 100% because they're so powerful.

Lighting is a personal preference. I don't think it's debatable anymore that LED fixtures can grow SPS. I've noticed many sps tanks that I admire have t5 or led/t5 hybrid. I really like the shimmer of led, and I think a hybrid t5/led fixture is the best of both worlds. I also like to build/tinker/learn, so this was a chance for me to do that. Maybe next year I'll be using metal halide!

But rest assured, two AP700s has plenty of light and I'm really happy with them. Btw, I now have some extra mounts if you're open to getting them used. A surprisingly pricey item.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

I think the ap700 works fort him but he added the t5s to fill in the shadowing cause led is more direct lighting. At least that's what I got from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. JVU

JVU Supporting Member

Thanks for taking the time to go into detail, very helpful. I admire the tinkering, it is a lot of effort for you but something we all can learn from.

I definitely am interested in the Kessil arms!

4. Gablami

Hey guys, found a product I wanted to share. For those who have vortechs and want a securing bracket more low profile with a BLACK sticker back as opposed to white (meaning you don't see the white square adhesive from the inside of the tank), check out this product. Will hold the dry side of dislodged but can't make any promises if a kid is pulling on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

Neat I could use that too when I go clear back

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

6. WCKDVPR

WCKDVPR Supporting Member

If JVU decides not to get your Kessil arms, I am interested in them only if/after he declines.

Nice build, thanks for sharing. I am just gathering parts for my build and going to be going with AP700's.

Best regards,
    Mike

7. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

Great job Gabe. That's impressive.

I use cobalt drill bits for drilling into steel. The titanium ones are just coated in titanium and are more made for wood. Also, a drill press helps immensely for drilling into steel if you have one. Another tip if you are going hand held is to use a smaller bit to begin with and move up to a larger one. I'll regularly will need to drill 1/2" holes and usually start out with 1/16", then 1/4", then 1/2". You'll need to use far less pressure and it cuts through it quicker.

8. Gablami

Thanks John. I actually started using some 1/16" bit for the first hole, but it was taking forever. And I can see how a drill press would help. Not sure when I'll need to drill through steel again. Seemed kinda like a once-in-a-life-time sort of thing for me...

9. Gablami

Saw a few tanks that added some LED strip lighting to the back of the tank for atmosphere. $20 bucks on Amazon and there's a remote with a bunch of different color combinations and dimming, etc:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

Pretty neat

11. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Ok that's supper slick, I assume the light is shining up from below the rim of the tank on the back?

Which light did you end up going with?

12. Gablami

Thanks guys. I just stuck it to the bottom edge of the tank facing the wall.

[​IMG]

13. Wlachnit

Wlachnit Supporting Member

Cool idea!

14. Wlachnit

Wlachnit Supporting Member

How are these holding up? Is the adhesive strong?

15. Gablami

Yeah they're solid. Good product.

16. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

ahhh ok, so you're illuminating the wall no the tank directly. Either way still super slick.

I've used a different version of that tape strip light in my closet as a make shift light (that lights every shelf), it works ok, but the LEDs tend to go bonkers after a while.

17. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

Now you just need spinner rims.

18. Gablami

I made some dosing containers that I think are pretty nice. Wanted to share. I have a DOS DDR reservoir which I think is a ripoff at $200. I check my tank often enough to know when my fluid is running low. Also the material of the DDR is acrylic, which cannot hold fluids like alcohol, vinegar etc, unless significantly diluted. These oxo containers are glass and well made.

Here are the supplies:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drill bits, drill, sharpie marking pen.

[​IMG]

It was a pain drilling these holes. Youll ultimately need to drill a 5/8" hole. In order to not crack the plastic, I used a sharpie to draw a circle around the base of the bulkhead, and used a small bit to perforate a bunch of small holes around the circle, before using the large drill bit.

[​IMG]

Drilled a tiny vent hole.

[​IMG]

For this size container the acrylic tube length should be cut to 7 1/8". Push it in, and then push it in some more.

[​IMG]

Oh, and according to @roostertech and @RandyC, these bulkheads do not leak.

rygh and yellojello like this.
  19. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

Hey Gabe I made one for a acropower container recently.

20. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

Good work Gabe. Those look very well made.