High Tide Aquatics

Gablami's Reefer 525 Build

Sorry to heard about your fish lost :(.

I have a question about your Carx. I have same exact one without PH probe holder. Did you buy Reef Fanatic Probe? What type of drill bit did you use and what size? Did you glue it to the lid? I am thinking about modifying mine too.
I basically did what this guy did:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2009-03/diy/index.php

It was not as hard to tap the thread as he described. I bought a neptune pH probe to add to my apex, and a brs in-line probe holder:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/probe-holder.html

But it might be cheaper and easier to mail the lid to Geo and have them do it for you. I called them and they said they were happy to, and the price was less than everything I paid to do it myself. But I just wanted to do it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vincent, that's a great idea. I should have done that. Shoot.

But now that I have them all in a tank already, I am loathe to put some back into the display and catch them again when I'm ready.

I think I'm gonna go ahead with my plan and try my best.

But good to know for next time. Hopefully there is no next time.

Yeah...I wouldn't put them back in. Your plan should work with more frequent water changes. When I do TTM, I don't feed the first day, just day 2 and 3.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a few casualties early on, all new fish that were in QT. The CBB, a couple gobys and a small powder blue. But all my established fish are going strong. I just did my 5th transfer tonight cause my holding tank is not fully cycled like I initially thought. I was ghost feeding for a few days and the ammonia wasn't going away. So gotta keep transferring or doing water changes until it's ready.

I know I could just do a water change instead of a transfer now, but using prime in this situation makes me nervous. Like after 3 days it "releases" the ammonia so I'm not sure how much ammonia will be released if I don't move the fish into a new tank. It's a quandary for me...

Ok time for an update. I ended up transferring 5 times, and I have slowly added to the holding tank and ammonia does not seem to be building up.

53490d82f7c19df1a4244b30ec786ca8.jpg

So now it's just a waiting game until mid October.

Btw, this holding tank is a 67g starfire rimless with cover, stand and sump with durso drain. I got it for a great price and will be selling it when I'm done (in case anyone is interested). I would keep it and leave it in my living room, but my wife vetoed the double tank idea :(.

1f61c9dfada1cf4ac778f596dd7ee371.jpg

That's funny about the wife vetoeing the double tank idea. My wife saw a picture of someone with 3 tanks set up next to each other and said any more than one tank is just obnoxious.

Ok time for an update. I ended up transferring 5 times, and I have slowly added to the holding tank and ammonia does not seem to be building up.

53490d82f7c19df1a4244b30ec786ca8.jpg

So now it's just a waiting game until mid October.

Btw, this holding tank is a 67g starfire rimless with cover, stand and sump with durso drain. I got it for a great price and will be selling it when I'm done (in case anyone is interested). I would keep it and leave it in my living room, but my wife vetoed the double tank idea :(.

1f61c9dfada1cf4ac778f596dd7ee371.jpg

Damn, your QT tank looks better than my main tank [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well, this tank could be yours in a couple months. I got it for $350, which is a steal. It would already come cycled. Think about it :).

If you sell it right around Christmas I might convince my wife to put it under the tree for me [emoji7][emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So I guess that is also all new rock, marine pure block, siporax, pumps, feed clip, etc? Or did you scrub and bleach some stuff from your main tank so you could use it here? Just curious about the process.

Nothing from the main tank entered here. I had extras of a lot of stuff for TTM, and had a backup mp40 with a couple spare wet sides I would swap for cleaning. If I had to do it again, I would have tried to cycle the holding tank first before starting the mass TTM (as was recommended to me by @scuzy). Also I could have TTM in two groups instead of all at once (as was recommended to me by @vhuang).

I've got 5L of siporax, one big MP block, 40lb new rock, a skimmer. And then when the cycle seemed to be taking awhile, I busted out my zeovit reactor and a bag of zeolite and started that going too. Remaining equipment is just a 150w heater, the mp40 and an ammonia alert badge. I had the maxijet in there for circulation while the mp40 was used for TTM.

I also bought some purigen as backup (recommended by @roostertech). Purigen sounds like an awesome "in case of emergency" media that I had never used before.

Hope you never need to do this :)

Back