Gauging interest on Group of Clean up crew - Pick at Swap...

Discussion in 'Group Buys' started by Apon, Feb 28, 2017.

1. MolaMola

MolaMola Supporting Member

Uh oh. I should have been more observant of the snails. I guess I assumed they were timid compared to the hermits. Acclimated for like an hour with water from whatever tank they were going into while I dipped and moved corals and rinsed containers. I hope they are not all dead since they are at the school and I am not until Mon. Hermits and clam seem fine. My two emerald crabs were super cool and active when I left!

2. Baykes

Baykes Webmaster

Yeah my clam started opening fairly quickly. Super psyched about it :) google searches seem to say that sometimes the snails are inactive after being introduced? Didn't notice a super rotten smell or anything. Will see how they are in a couple days

3. gabloo

gabloo Supporting Member

out of 7 Cerith, may be 1 is dead. None of my Astrea is moving tho. I will have to wait a few days to see what happen. Good thing they are in QT.

4. coral4me

coral4me Supporting Member

Yeah, that is what I was thinking initially but after the posts I started looking more carefully. My resident Nasarius are eating the dead Astreas now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Edgar Sandoval

Edgar Sandoval Supporting Member

our hermit crabs had snails for diner today

6. Apon

Apon Volunteer

I know they always ship the astrea dry, but not sure what they will do. Let me ask them. Sorry about the losses.

I do owe Maureen $12 for the shrimps that didn't make it. I have picture of that since they were dead when I opened the box. When I checked the Astrea snails they didn't smell bad either.

7. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

Make sure to check your clams for snail pests.

8. MolaMola

Oops. Did not know about possible snail pests. I toothbrushed the shell and swished it around in water. Then I put it straight into DT. Maybe I don't want to know about the pests. : ) Next time I will follow my own advice and find out about something before getting it and prepping it for my tank.

9. Ashalye

Ashalye Webmaster

The astrea snail bag smelled awful when I opened it to pick mine out at the end of the swap. It must have gone downhill quickly. :(

10. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman Supporting Member

Yeah -- the smell at the end was bad. I picked mine out and then realized I needed to go wash my hands before I drove home. I could still smell it driving home. These things happen -- Not Apon's fault. All part of the roller coaster experience.

11. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

It's unfortunately common to see bins of dead snails at the wholesalers. They supposedly pick out the best ones for shipping but even then it's a real toss up. On a good note - The clams are doing well. Didn't see any pests after a good scrubbing, and they seem to be doing well for a first day.

Hope I DO NOT run into one of these again!

12. RandyC

RandyC Guest

I ordered snails online once and probably wouldn't do it again. Ordered 20 cerith and 20 nassarius and only had 5 or 6 cerith survive out of the lot. Amphipods, on the other hand, could probably survive a nuclear blast.

iCon likes this.
  13. MolaMola

Ummm... @iCon, what the heck is that thing?

14. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

Polyclad flatworm. Actually a pretty neat creature that can fit through a pin hole. Unfortunately, they happen to decimate clams and can live completely hidden inside the shell for quite some time. Lost a beautiful 6" maxima to one of these and getting it out of my tank was quite the adventure!

15. gabloo

gabloo Supporting Member

Is your clam gaping? I think mine is gaping a bit but It does response very well to movement tho. I could be wrong too since this is my first time keeping clam :)

16. Apon

Apon Volunteer

Well I haven't heard back from the wholesaler yet, but the most they would do is credit me the wholesale cost of live stock. So for those who lost snails, please PM me with the number and I will return half of what you paid. ( ex. if 20 snails died, I will refund $10, that is better than what most stores will do.) The rest covered shipping and Box charges. I hope that is reasonable.

It's the risk we take when buying sight unseen.

For those that paid me cash, please let me know if you have paypal.

iCon and Ashalye like this.
  17. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

1 of 3 gaping. 2 look decent.

18. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

What is "gaping" and what type and color of clam did you all get??

19. Apon

Apon Volunteer

I have not gotten any refund from wholesale yet, but I sent some refunds to the folks who have PM me.

20. Apon

Apon Volunteer

The deresa clams should all have been yellow with green lips/rim