Jestersix

Ged’s RSR 350 mixed reef with a focus on LPS and zoas

My reef is a 2 year old Red Sea reefer 350. It is mostly lps and zoas however their are also 3 bird nests and a grafted setosa. I still feel my tank is a bit unstable so I’m holding off on other sps but I do plan on getting more in the future. My tank has the standers RS refiugium, vertex 250 skimmer, 2 kessil a360s, and a ecotech vectra return pump. I currently use RS salt but I plan on switching to something that holds alkalinity better after watching the BRS investigates video on salt storage. I have minimal fish with 4 clowns, a fire fish, a cardinal, a six line, and a angel fish. I run sea lettuce in my refugium as chetomorpha does not like my tank. I also do a weekly 10gallon WC and test. My zoas are just starting to overgrow a bit so there will definitely be some free zoa frags coming soon to this forum. Overall I have had no problems with my tank other than mild hair algae.

I am new here and I’m having a bit of trouble uploading an images but once I figure it out I’ll be sure to upload one here.

Is Vertex the Red Sea brand naming for skimmer, or do you mean a Vertex Alpha 250? Because 1) that's a whole lot of skimmer for a tank that size especially if it's only zoas and LPS, and 2) how do you cram something that big into the sump for that thing? :D

and yeah I was a bit disappointed in RS salt, I mean the stuff is supposedly straight from the Red Sea with very little additions to it, how can it not hold it's parameters in a mixing vessel for any length of time?

Sorry, It is the vertex 150 alpha. It’s from a old Fowler that used to house my porkiepine puffer. Do you think it could cause problems with too low of nutrients?

Back