1. The 2014 BAR Members Only Frag Swap is today!

Become a member in order to participate in today's swap!
  2. Hey Bay Area Reefers!

Please excuse the mess as we're currently sorting out some technical issues with our new home page as it has thrown off our website URLs a bit.

Thank you for your patience!

Your Webmin

GEO Calcium Reactor

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by xcaret, Nov 30, 2018.

1. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

From an in-wall tank tear down a nice GEO 612 calcium reactor; has been cleaned and ready for a new home.
    Will be posted on RC but not for a week or so more.
    Reactor has the pH probe port; Eheim 1048 re-circulation pump
    Also with the reactor, an empty 5lb CO2 tank, Aluminum so you can re-fill it or if you don't mind, just exchange it; San Francisco does not allow re-fill; is my knowledge so if you are in SF, a trip to the peninsula to have it filled. A simple single stage regulator is part of the set, has a solenoid and a valve to regulate the CO2 Package deal to BAR members $200

20181130_163501_Film1.jpg

20181130_163513_Film1.jpg

2. euod

euod Supporting Member

Dang, best deal I see all year. Better than Black Friday and Cyber.

3. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Extremely tenpting, but a calcium reactor is not in my immediate future at all

4. Julius Chen

Julius Chen Supporting Member

Xcaret,

Is this big enough for 150g tank (plus ~30 gallon water in sump), mixed reef setup? Any other items needed (other than media) to run?

Is it safe (in term of leaking) to put this next to instead of inside stand? I only have 9” width left inside stand unfortunately.

IF I run triton method, will running a calcium reactor help save doses needed from Triton?

I am doing 2 parts dosing today and surprised I have to dose 50ml or more per each part daily. That over time will cost. I assume Triton dosing will cost as much or more.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  5. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

If you are doing triton core7, you shouldn’t need to dose 2 part. Doesn’t 2 of those contain alk and Ca?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. sfsuphysics

I think this reactor is rated for 200g, although how manufacturers put ratings on is sometimes a bit iffy, a full SPS reef is way different than a few sticks and plates in a mixed reef. I would say you should be ok. As for other items you want a dosing pump as well as pH controller of some sort as a level of protection, and maybe a solenoid as the final level of protection. You may also want a better CO2 regulator at some point.

As far as Triton, the "method" isn't just dosing their 3-part solution, that's simply a way they provide to balance everything out. A calcium reactor absolutely will lower your need of Triton dosing, the "big 3" (Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium) simply gets replenished by your calcium reactor instead of 3 part solution (whether from Triton or some other source)

7. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

Reactor was used on a very small tank for this type of reactor; I'm guessing a bit over 100g mixed reef.
    I just cleaned it yesterday, guess I can fill it and test for leaks.
    You'd only need a feed pump and the pH controller.

8. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

Includes set up dialing in? Hmmmm!

9. RandyC

RandyC Supporting Member

If you're running the full triton method, it wouldn't make sense to dose 2-part or use a calcium reactor. Trace elements from all four components (1, 2, 3a, and 3b) are based on alk consumption. If you are putting in alk/ca from another source other than triton, you are not getting the full supplementation of trace elements Triton believes you should have.

Of course you could also dose more individual trace elements based on ICP testing, but that'd be way more difficult/time consuming and way more expensive.

10. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

That is a possibility.

11. Julius Chen

Vincent, I have not started Triton yet. Meanwhile using up the 2 gallon 2-parts I bought a year ago. Surprised by how much dosing needed despite I dont have much corals let alone sps in the tank.

Xcaret, from your experience, is this setup sufficient for a 150+30g (water vilume when running), mixed reef? If only 100g mixed reef, it seems too small for my setup? I just want to make sure it alone can provide enough without additional from 2 parts or Triton.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  12. sfsuphysics

Julius, out of curiosity, what brand of 2 part did you buy? Some brands out there charge an arm and a leg compared to other sources, just as a point of reference Bulkreefsupply has their pharmaceutical grade calcium & alkalinity which cost $7 each for a 1 gallon amount, you need to supply your own water & gallon container. But if you dosed 50mL that'd translate to about 10 cents a day per element.

13. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

The reactor is from someone's tank; everything was removed due to the owner moving/selling the house.
    I have never had experienced using a GEO eeactor but people seem to like them a lot.
    In my opinion, it can handle your tank with ease.
    As Mike expressed, manufacturers rate their equipment differently; for instance, Korallin C1502; the rating for thus unit is up to 400 gallons if I recall right. Runs the same pump as the GEO, Eheim 1048 for recirculation. I have a dual chamber SRO which I believe is modestly rated for up to 200 gallons and is a monster in size compared to both, GEO and Korallin and there's no way in heaven or earth, both smaller units could outperform the SRO, but then again, is the manufacturer whom rates the reactors performance.
    @anathema has a small CaRx, smaller than the GEO or Korallin in his 150g + 100g sump. His acros are doing amazing, LPS, montis, all looking good. I think is either a Precision Marine CR or an MRC CR.
    Here's another thing to consider; a small chamber reactor has to be replenished more often than a big reactor and the most important part might be the type of corals in the ecosystem; mostly SPS does require the continuous supply of Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium, among other trace elements to construct their skeleton.
    The exposure time of the CaRx media to the acidic chamber is also very important and is where the recirculation pumps play a big part. The Korallin C1502 was also available as C1501 and the rating of the unit was 200g; almost identical units but the Eheim pump made the difference; the C1501 has/had a 1046, recirculating at half the volume/gph of the 1048 which powers the C1502; other than that, both are identical.
    The SRO double chamber I have, was running in a 240g 4x4 cube system; SPS dominant and could be used IMHO in a tank twice that volume.
    The only thing I'd get for the GEO, would be a two-stage regulator; the one paired to the set is a single stage; does have a solenoid to shutt-off the gas via dedicated controller or Apex, RK, Reef Angel, etc.
    As far as feed pump, it had an Aqualift; yes, that's right, does the job. I'm keeping the Aqualift pump but the buyer is welcome to it. Is the old fashion way to run a CaRx

14. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Calcium reactor sizing mostly has to do with how often you want to replenish/refill the media. This is a single stage reactor that should be more than sufficient for your tank as long as you can feed it via a reliable peristaltic pump (e.g. Masterflex/Kamoer) and a precision dual stage regulator. You can also add a secondary reactor chamber, e.g. Geo SMC415, if you want to extend it's capacity and/or offgas some of the CO2. If you do do that, then run something like Reborn+Zeomag in the first reactor and then ARM in the second reactor.

15. sfsuphysics

Not to try and screw with Mario's potential sale here, but if you don't know anything about calcium reactors you should probably visit at least one person who does run one (maybe even a store) and ask them what equipment they use that is related the reactor so you can get an idea for what you might need.

16. Julius Chen

sfsuphysics, my 2 part is ESV B-ionic 2 gallon package. They were 1 year old, maybe potency has decreased overtime so I had to dose 50ml a day.

Xcaret, I like to buy this setup. I enjoy experimenting different approaches. Will ping you in the morning.

17. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

Sold.

18. sfsuphysics

Yeah B Ionic is a bit more pricy of a solution compared to others I could understand why Triton would seem similar in cost