Kessil

Getting back to the hobby with 150g Penninsula

Hi Guys,
I am getting ready to acquire a new 150g tank (Penninsula style) with 3 sides starphire and an external overflow box. Dimension of the tank is 48"x30"x24". This is the first time I will have a large tank so I am really looking for advice and help from the local reefers who are more experience. My previous tanks are all pretty small (10g and 30g) so this is a huge step for me but I am very excited. The tank is scheduled to deliver on the 21th of this month. :)

Here are a few pictures of the tank:

150g-1.jpg

150g-2.jpg

150g-3.jpg

150g-4.jpg

Why would he stop making tanks? :)

I didn't get a quote from Leemar but Keith's price is pretty good. I did get a few quotes from other local makers and although the price is reasonable, the "handling / shipping fee" is ridiculous. It's just so high, it almost double the price of my tank. Keith offered delivery for $100 which is part of the reason why I went with him.

A few people have PM me about detail and price of my tank but since I can NOT read or reply PM, I will just post it here and hopefully they will see it...

The tank is 48"x30"x24" (150g) Penninsula style with euro-bracing. The 3 viewing sides are starphire while the overflow side is black so the overflow, pipes, and wire etc don't show up when you view it from the end. This is the builder's idea and I pretty much welcome it. :) The tank uses black silicone everywhere. The glasses are 1/2" all around except the bottom which is 3/4". The overflow box is external and is measured 6" x 20" with 4 holes drilled at the bottom. 3 holes are 2.5" (for 1.5" bulkheat) while the smaller one is 2" used for return. The tank has no other holes drilled since I won't be using any kind of CL system. There are, however, 4 holes drilled in the 4 corners of the euro-bracing for wiring.

The price for the tank is $1400. I can either pick up the tank from Keith or Keith will deliver the tank to SF for $100. I thought that's reasonable.

I asked Keith if it's OK to give his contact and he said it's fine so you can reach him with k_grandt@msn.com

That is not bad; I wanted to order a 100G acrylic tank and they quoted me for $1200.
It's nice dimension, if ppl can live with 24" width instead of 30" they can get oceanic ultimate or tech for about 1/3 of the price. Not Penninsula though.

The stand (36" in height) was delivered today. It's not skinned yet tho:

stand1.jpg

Inside of the stand:

stand2.jpg

With 4 adjustable legs:

stand3.jpg

to make the stand perfectly balance in all directions:

stand4.jpg

Great start. Kieth stopped by yesterday and mentioned he was building your tank. He was out walking his dog and wanted to chit chat a bit. He also does really clean work on acrylic. He built my sump for me.

Good luck with the build.

Are the leveling screws rated for the intended weight? Perry (vapormd) has a tank with leveling hardware similar rated for a lot of weight.
It's great to know some one local to nor cal makes custom glass tanks

you guys are making me second guess the adjustable legs. i will ask the builder to make sure those are ok. btw, the stand isn't build by Keith.

Talked to stand builder and he said the screws have "extra capacity" and handles ~6 tons pressure with no problem. :) However, he's afraid the tile floor might not be able to handle the pressure so he's going to "redo the legs" for me just in case.

Couple more pictures with the overflow mounted:

overflow2.jpg

overflow1.jpg

Tank is getting ready for delivery this weekend!

Back