High Tide Aquatics

Getting reflectors to almost new appearance again.

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
I know I'm not the only one, you have at least one reflector, that has a ton of salt spray or marks on it because that's the exact spot most bubbles pop up from the surface. Well I've used deionized water and vinegar, both of which can cut down on the actual salt, however it always seems there's a little residual spots left over.

Well today I found something that brings that nice mirror finish back, Novus #2, figured if it works on acrylic why not shiny aluminum.. and sure enough, it did orders of magnitude better than either water or vinegar!

I'm sure this was known by everyone but me, but hey at least I finished the race :D

I would recommend using water (doesn't need to be DI), to get any initial salt off, then simply get a paper towel squirt a little N#2 on there, and rub it for a minute or so, and voila! you got your mirror back.

I used chrome polishing compound long ago but it was for a different project, still it was Aluminum and s. steel. Got it at the good-guys auto show in Pleasanton there are different grits of it but can't remember the name of it.

Thanks for the tip Mike.. I have a nice T5 8 bulbs pendant. The reflectors are in pretty bad shape.. 8 reflectors would cost me quite a bit. I guess I will run to Tapplastic on the weekend or something.

So it will not leave a haze on the reflector after using the novus? I'm going to give it a try as soon as I pick up a bottle.

No haze at all. Although I did notice that serious bad salt spray won't come out, basically it eats away at the aluminum if left on too long.

Novus is prob safe (but I'd rinse afterwards anyway) but I'd be careful using metal cleaners on aquarium equipment. Just a hunch but i bet some of the metal cleaners have very nasty toxins in them.

Back