Reef nutrition

GFCI Plug tripping due to inductive load

I've had a problem for a long while that I've finally decided I need to fix. The plugs for all of my tank gear are GFCI. I replaced the room plugs before first installing the tanks. When I turn on or off the power bar to which the pumps are attached it will frequently but not always trip the GFCI. If I simply unplug the powerbar then the GFCI will not trip. If I reduce the number of motors on the powerbar then the frequency of tripping will also be reduced.

I've read that the root problem is that GFCI outlets get confused by inductive load (such as motors). Are there "motor friendly" GFCI outlets? Would switching to a GFCI circuit breaker be better?

Yes, motors can do that, but barely. My bet : It is very likely the powerbar!

Not an uncommon problem.

They put little status LEDs, or surge protection, on those powerbars.
Those leak current a bit to earth ground, and put it right on the edge of tripping.
With a couple of powerheads - pop.

Do you have any of the old cheap plug expanders, like for Xmas lights.
Basically wire and plastic only. No status, no surge protection!
Try that instead of a power bar.

Sure enough, this powerbar has three LEDs (one is possibly neon), Green for on, Red for surge and a lighted switch. I have a plain dumb powerbar I will try instead.

Thanks!

Unfortunately replacing the power strip didn't make any difference. :( I temporarily replaced the power strip with a plain cord and octopus to set whether it was strip.

Removing one or more of the loads (doesn't matter which one) from the power strip seems to greatly reduce the frequency of switching on/off tripping the GFCI.

Not sure what to try next.

Pity.
I notice you said "Replaced the room plugs."
Did you perhaps accidentally put multiple GFCI receptacles in series?
Do you have other things in the room that might be an issue?

You could try replacing the GFCI, perhaps with a name brand one.
It might just be going bad.

It sure seem that the wiring must be an issue, otherwise it would matter a lot on which
load reduces the tripping.

Back