Kessil

GFO and Softies

3 weeks ago I started using HCGFO to offset the PO4 from the overfeeding of my psycho anthias. Since then my green two tree-like sinularias, one sinularia flexibillis, and one green nepthea have stopped any PE, are semi deflated, and are now starting to visibly shrink. Before that they were growing well. Both the nepthea and flexibillis started as nubs are were getting some decent size to them. Everything else in the tank is OK and there are no signs of stress. The tank parameters look good (pH, sg, Ca, Alk, Nitrate, etc…) I’m very puzzled as these should be very hardy corals.

Are there any other reports of GFO and softies not getting along? Physically the corals are not next to each other. Interesting to note they are all green. The other softies are the usual tan, brown, or pink and have no issues.

-Gregory

I would recommend moving it to a quarantine tank without GFO for a few days and see if it recovers. Or maybe the softies were getting food from the excess nutrients in the water from the overfeeding; maybe you should should try target feeding it.

GDawson said:
Matt_Wandell said:
Sudden drops in PO4 can cause them to close up.

Try removing the GFO and see what happens.

What's the best way to re-introduce the GFO?

-Gregory

Use smaller amounts. What's the tank volume to GFO volume ratio? You said it's HC, right? This stuff really sucks the PO4 out of the water.

I had a Capnella look near death after putting GFO on a mantis tank for 48 hours. Took the GFO off, good as new within 48 hours again. That was approx. 1 cup of GFO (regular type) per 25g of tank water. It dropped the PO4 from .12ppm to .02ppm IIRC. After waiting a week I added about a third as much GFO back and the corals seemed unaffected.

Take home message for me was that the GFO is not the culprit, the sudden drop in PO4 is. I had heard this years and years ago but never seen it myself, and had forgotten about it.

That is sudden drop of PO4, I had the same issue with few softie when I started to run GFO (now I don't run it anymore). For me I just leave them alone & all of them come back slowly after they are used to the low PO4.

gimmito said:
Matt,

Have you heard any reports on bio-pellets and its effect on corals ?

I've heard tons of things. :D Can't say how true any of it is though. Never tried the stuff m'self. Dosing ethanol/vinegar in my kalkwasser seems way cheaper and easier to me.

Coral reefer said:
Use less? What was your p04 before using gfo?

Not hideous.....somewhere between .03 and .1 (I think). The test is VERY hard to read and it might have been higher. My wife and I had a long discussion on what the acutal value was. We voted to call it a range instead. Though the HCGFO is overkill for my situation the decision was based on economics. It costs a bit more but should last longer due to its capacity. The initial usage was with the lowest amount recommended by BRS; 12 table spoons for 100 gal total volume. We can prolly cut that in half.

-Gregory

nudibranch said:
I would recommend moving it to a quarantine tank without GFO for a few days and see if it recovers. Or maybe the softies were getting food from the excess nutrients in the water from the overfeeding; maybe you should should try target feeding it.

They were taget fed before they closed up. They love RN oyster feast.....It's the only food they have ever shown a responce to....

-Gregory

Matt_Wandell said:
GDawson said:
Matt_Wandell said:
Sudden drops in PO4 can cause them to close up.

Try removing the GFO and see what happens.

What's the best way to re-introduce the GFO?

-Gregory

Use smaller amounts. What's the tank volume to GFO volume ratio? You said it's HC, right? This stuff really sucks the PO4 out of the water.

I had a Capnella look near death after putting GFO on a mantis tank for 48 hours. Took the GFO off, good as new within 48 hours again. That was approx. 1 cup of GFO (regular type) per 25g of tank water. It dropped the PO4 from .12ppm to .02ppm IIRC. After waiting a week I added about a third as much GFO back and the corals seemed unaffected.

Take home message for me was that the GFO is not the culprit, the sudden drop in PO4 is. I had heard this years and years ago but never seen it myself, and had forgotten about it.

Thanks Matt. I'll cut off the GFO until they recover and then use 1/2 the amount and see how that goes.

I still find it odd that only the green softies were effected. They are also the only ones that show any visible feeding responce to planktonic foods.....

Thanks again.

-Gregory

Back