Gimmito's 450 gal L-shaped tank

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by gimmito, Jul 20, 2009.

1. gimmito

gimmito Supporting Member

I've read the same thing about wrasses and dragonets with the thick mucus they secrete makes them less vulnerable to the ich parasite. Just from observing the animals the hippo and swallowtail angels got it worst, but are looking really good. I saw some spots on the exquisite wrasse, and orange back briefly. Anthias, pygmy angels, blenny, clowns, etc. all look good also.

2. gimmito

I suspected uronema also. The anti parasitic caviar is probably your best bet to treat it.

3. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

Jim - ever notice your pygmy angels nipping at your corals?! I'm trying to catch my lemon peel as it seems to like nipping them.....

4. gimmito

Hi Geneva,

I have never noticed the pygmy angels nipping at the corals. Although, I did notice one of the female swallowtails nipping on my open brain the other day. I have a XL Acclimate fish trap if you need to borrow it.

5. Scarbird

Scarbird Supporting Member

Will do. I will hit you up for some pellets next week. On my way to UCSD to drop my son off.

6. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

Thanks! (borrowed a trap from another member already! wish me luck!)

gimmito likes this.
  7. denzil

denzil Webmaster

It's quite possible to prevent the angels from nipping at corals if they're fed well enough. However, if they're simply bored, not sure if you could really change that besides evicting your angel(s).

8. tankguy

tankguy Vice President

Feeding well certainly helps but every fish is different and some will still nip even if there full.

9. gimmito

Even if they've been model citizens for years...they can one day acquire a taste for corals.

tankguy likes this.
  10. gimmito

denzil likes this.
  11. Reef Keeper

Reef Keeper Guest

Like your vid. I have a 50lb sack of food grade D.E. and would like to learn more about using it with my set up. Will you be at the Swap 3.14.15?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  12. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

That doesn't count as a tank update ;)

13. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Yeah. Not even close

14. gimmito

Hey Joel,

I would use the saltwater DE. I actually bought the food grade (fresh water) DE as a dietary supplement. It reportedly helps lower cholesterol, natural cleanser, etc. Unfortunately meetings are tough to attend these days since my kids sporting events are usually on Saturdays or I'm working those days. Feel free to swing on by if you want to checkout the Diatom Filter in action or have any questions.

Enderturtle likes this.
  15. gimmito

Didn't I say "stay tuned for more videos?"o_O;):p

16. gimmito

I have some things I want to add before a tank update. ;)

17. Reef Keeper

Reef Keeper Guest

Okay: Will PM you sometime soon. Thank you :0)

18. gimmito

19. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

Jim - nice video! So weird - 30+ years ago when I had a fresh water 50 gallon tank, I had that same diatom filter I used once a week or so and it kept my tank so clear - never realized it was also used for SW - should have kept it - looks exactly the same!! Thanks for sharing...

20. gimmito

Glad you liked the video Geneva. The DF is great to have around.