Neptune Aquatics

Gimmito's 450 gal L-shaped tank

62343ccb59f84aeca616e0abe8fec5e4

Close up of teeth.

hey jimmy, the tank is going in where the fireplace was? can't wait to see pics of it when it's all set up!

best, garvin

What's up Garvin !

Long time no here... I finally got around to doing the tank and hope to have it set up by the end of the year. How's your tank ? It must be looking really nice. I still have those zoas I got from you in my red sea max.

I wanted to setup a frag tank. Do you recommend plumbing it separate from the display or using a common sump ?

Jim

my tank is doing ok. i have been battling hair algae recently...glad to know the corals are still doing well!

my previous frag tank was entirely separate from my display. it required additional equipment (i.e. auto-top off, return pump, heaters, etc) and additional time for water changes. after some time, i got tired of maintaining both tanks and as you know decided to shut down the frag tank.

i do not like seeing frag plugs in my display, so i manufactured a small frag tank and incorporated it in my sump area of my current display. it is gravity fed from my display and then gravity fed in to my sump. it has one small powerhead for circulation.

will your frag tank act as a quarantine tank too? my advice is to keep it simple whichever route you decide to take.

Gavin,

Sorry to hear about the dreaded hair algae. Turbo snails, water changes, & pulling them out the old fashion way always worked for me. Thanks for your advice on the frag tank...I was thinking of using it as a qt also, but Jeremy told me his frag tank got infested w/aerfw that way.

Jim

p.s. Any pics of the tank ?

Garvin,

The tank is coming along nicely. I like the canyon effect you got going on there. What type of fish have you added to the powder blue tang ?

aa60d4c5fab2490d8282d0a93ee14720

Since we are remodeling I had the contactor pour a thick pad under the stand and tie it in w/4 x 4's. I also had him install a 3" drain right next to the sump...no more buckets !

I was also kicking around the idea of installing a deltec eco cooler underneath the house...what do you guys think ?

5d5eeaef0507496bb69cbfa8ab1f8ce2

Kold Sterile Filter. Keeps essential elements. Filters last 50,000 gallons. 50 bucks to replace them. No wasted water. Great filtered water for the family.

Are you going to run MH? I had issues (and others seem to as well) with MHs tripping GFI on startup.

If you are going to keep the QT/frag tied in onto the same system, you may want to try and mitigate cross contamination by inserting a UV section to hopefully kill the nasties before they cross over.

that said, I'm envious of this new beasty tank!

Back