Cali Kid Corals

Gimmito's 450 gal L-shaped tank

IMG_0817.jpg

2 bags of araganite sand courtesy of the fish doctor.

IMG_0819.jpg

It's nice to see that the guys at ecotech marine are continually improving their products. The new wet seal looks solid and I can't wait to sync & upgrade the firmware on my other mp40.

Now if I can only find a deal on a 48" MH/T5 fixture.

Hey guys I'm intrigued by this fixture for the frag tank:

Aquatic Life 48" HID/T5/LED fixture
-- with controller

What do you guys think ?

IMG_0015.jpg

I had time this weekend to work on the frag tank stand w/ a buddy. It's made of 2x4's and 2x6's w/simpson hangers. I have a friend who's selling a used sunlight supply maristar 2x150 and 2x54 watt T5's. I can go w/12k reeflux bulbs, that way the corals will acclimate easier to the main tank (when that gets going !). I'm thinking of going w/ati blue plus bulbs for the T5's.

IMG_0018.jpg

We also built a ledger out of 2x8's. I hope to put 3-55 gallon tanks up there. I would like to have a mixing station for saltwater, r/o water, & the last will be a gravity fed fuge. I'm entertaining the idea of incorporating a constant water station up there also.

I plan to build another ledger below it for a qt, culture tanks, breeding tanks, & what not.

I don't know how far you are with the vent/fan in the hood but I was able to wire mine to a greenhouse thermostat so that it kicks on when it gets to the temp I set it to.
With this controller my fish room stays 72 deg and my tank at 77 with no heater or chiller.
K-Kontrol
http://kkontrols.com/
Awesome build!

Sweet set up so far amd nice MP40. I've been enjoying from a far

I'm waiting on the MP20 to augment my circulation. I hear they may be coming down in price in the not to very distant future, so I'm making do with my Koralias. I hear the Vortec is programable to double as a wave maker without a separate controller. Is that right?

Good luck with your build out!

Reef Keeper
Joel

Hey Gimmito,

Thank you very much for the Link and the model suggestion.

I'll go to that site to review the specs. I only have a 100 gallon tank with two Koralia #4s pushing about 1250gph, each, along with the main return that is rated for 900 gph but is actually making about 750-800. I'll due my due diligence. Thanks for telling me about the Gen 2, as that is the feature I really am looking for.....

Thanks for answering and suggestions.

Best,
Joel

P.s.: That above link in not functioning. I Googled the URL you posted, but did not find a match. Is this a good link? socaltropicalaquarium.com?

Wow Free shipping for any order amount.... Tom deserves the plug. Thx

Late Note: URL is: http://www.socaltropicalfish.com/ socaltropicalfish.com

Joel,

Thanks for the correction...those prices are hard to beat + free shipping.
I think 2 mp40 gen2's would be perfect for your 100 gal. How's that rbta by the way ?

Jim

Hey Jim,

Yea, 2 x MP40s (according to specs) will be great. However @ $400+ that's a hard pill to swallow. Jeremy checked out my tank the other day, and told me that, at this moment, intermittent water flow is not a major priority, and if I can be patient, they are going to come way down in price within a year- (If I recall correctly). I'm not the most patient person. Usually money burns a whole in my pocket, but lately, I've had to rein in the expenses; so I think I can learn to be patient. They are awesome though.

Thanks for asking about the 2nd gen Quadracolor: It's doing really well as is the 1st gen too. The disc has gone from being halved with halved mouth to just about being completely rounded out (same goes for the 1st gen). I tried letting the 2nd gen out of the corral I made for it, and it made a fast break from the spot I had it on (in no time flat). So, for now, it's back in the corral. Once it looks recovered enough, I may train it like my other anems. Since there has been little interest in the 2nd gen, and my wife likes it so much and the division aspect, I'm kind of leaning to accommodate it going forward (it's got good color already) Maybe I'll put a photo on this post tomorrow. It's really gotten pretty big already.

BFN.

Keep on reefing,
Joel

Joel not sure where you heard they're coming way down in price. The price is inline with the market for American made pumps of their class. I'll email Tim and ask him though just to put this to bed quick like :)

Hi Gresham,

Gotcha.

I've been told that at that price they're still a steal, so not to worry. Sorry to throw that into the mix. I'll be down for one of those within the month. I need a 2 part doser and some other hardware that is on my priority list, and was just getting ready to placing my order.

Thanks for your insight.

Much appreciated.

Joel

Joel,

Thanks for tagging along ! Depending on your size tank, I would recommend going w/the mp40 gen2. Yes, you can get waves out of the vortech w/o a seperate wavemaker. Contact Tom at socaltropicalfish.com for the best price.

Joel,

Just start subscribing to various "for sale threads" and you'll get some good deals. :bigsmile:

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/f60/fs-aquamedic-triple-doser-28043.html

-Jim

Back