Goal: zero waste-water -- saltwater friendly garden?

Discussion in 'DIY' started by L/B Block, May 13, 2017.

1. L/B Block

L/B Block Supporting Member

A) Love that you knew it was Betsy not Lawrence.
    B) Watched a video. What Flagg said made perfect sense.

And by the way, had a fun chat tonight with someone about the salt water planter. He's intrigued at the 0 waste water concept. Not a reef guy, but a science guy. With a shop. A really awesome shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. BSAJim

BSAJim Supporting Member

Yep, the right answer in this case may be a solar still. You can find plans on most of the survivalist sites. Salt water goes in, sunlight causes evaporation of pretty pure H2O, which condenses and runs to a collector. Eventually, the still will fill with salts, which can be scooped out and tossed. It would be a low waste solution, without causing massive salt build-up in the soil.

3. L/B Block

Well, that would be pretty MacGyver. But I love to garden, and so the grey water aspect of this is appealing to me - and also something others could do easily with a planter. Despite lots of crazy foibles today, the Apex is starting to replace the Aquacontroller. Slowly... slowly... Now to shop for the planter.

4. L/B Block

Progress!

We have holes in the wall with recessed able receptacles. We next need to get he Dos hooked up.

Challenging discovery: we had to go through a shear wall and here is a gap between the drywall and shear wall, so we have to pass through all the cables before I can screw it in place.

I just went for a standard trough for this first go, but that means I need to DIY the reservoir/wick system. The good side to that is I can give some thought to whether or not to anticipate that a wick system will have a minor solar oven effect, or in some way leave behind some of the salt.

I'll also do some thoughtful measuring about how far away we can put the trough given the power of the Dos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. L/B Block

Much kudos to the B for getting it done! Looks much more pleasing from the office and safer as the cords are off the floor! IMG_1612.JPG IMG_1611.JPG

Coral reefer likes this.
  6. anathema

anathema Supporting Member

Funny, I was just wondering about this myself as I contemplate moving to a rural area.

7. L/B Block

We *just* got it set up! We've had a few logistical challenges, but I documented my water trough set-up. I'll keep you posted if our lantana lives or dies. :)