got ethical husbandry?

Gomer's frag tank

This tank was fully inspired by DBTC. Right now, 1/2 the frags are from DBTC. The rest are both a temp housing for corals in another tank, and a recovery tank for some corals.
I have a small frag of superman monti and pink birdsnest that have been in there the longest and are a good gauge of the tank for me. Since putting them in, they have colored up a lot. The bleached acros and acan are continually showing progress at recovery. ..and damn it, that idaho grape...I can practically see that thing grow!

HOB AC70 with cheato and the powerhead from my biocube 14 (I replaced the BC14 with a maxijet 900).
Lighting provided by a 2x36AHSupply retro laid directly on the tank cover. Bulbs are 2x 50/50 coralife.

IMG_2337%20copy.jpg

Not sure how much interest there is, but on the left is the Yellow "sparkle" pally I got in the Auction. Hopefully it grows well. Kind of interesting guy. RPPE on the right for reference. SOrry for the blurr.
IMG_2338%20copy.jpg

Nice frag tank setup.

I've set the light fixture down on top of an eggcrate over the tank also. You get maybe a little more light than going through a glass lid.

Trust me, I have every intention of putting my stuff in that forum...especially the soon-to-be coral craze: non-colorful, brownish corals!

I'll try the eggcrate/light combo also. Thanks for the tip.

Right now it is single level lol. The only thing that is below the eggcrate is the rock, hichhickers, hermets who scavange leftover coral food, and whavever coral falls that I don't want to get back lol. I will be doing a tiered setup in time using magnetic racks though.

New addition to the frag tank..obviously not a frag...yet ;)

Not sure exactly what it is, but I really like it. Looks like a favia. Any recognize it?
837_24_04_08_7_31_58.jpg

hmm...reminds me of Grapes of Wrath
http://www.ba-cfm.com/auction_jendub_Grapesofwaith.jpg

(I don't blast my tank with actinics ;))

You know what I've been thinking about trying since the orange acanand blue/red favia are on curver pieces is trying to glue a flat piece of rock (cut from a spare rock) to the sides. It'll look funny at first but it'll give the new growth some place to go. What's the diameter of that piece? Maybe I can slice one of the pieces I have with my dry masonry saw so you can put your piece on top of it. Does that make sense?

One of the best mounts for LPS like favias is cross cut dry tonga branch, you can get some pretty big disks and cut to the desired thickness. then later you can score and snap from the underside of the disk.

the coral pictured is about the size of an orange..a bit bigger then a baseball.

Good idea jeremy. Wonder if I can convince someone to dice me up some in the next coming weeks :p

I don't have any branches but I might be able to create a couple slices that'll work. If I can get something to work I'll try and bring them by Monday if I'm up that way.

I'll twist Mickey's arm and see what we can come up with, the hard part is finding the dried branch. Walt Smith carries it, however I would have to be a B&M to buy it.

Even sweeter when the whole thing cost me $35 :-D I think the LFS messed up on that one ;) If not, then I don't care cause I still love it.

Back