Jestersix

Gomer's frag tank

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=3129.msg41679#msg41679 date=1209135555]
lol. It is on a mound. It will take some work (*cough norman*) to frag up into convenient pieces.
[/quote]

Ian's diamond bandsaw would do nicely on that. We'll be doing some fragging experiments one of these weekends. (This Sunday? Can't remember...)

I have some rock I can slice up for you. Not branch though.

Well, I am moved and in the process the frag tank grew.

10g-->40g

Needs more water but I ran out of containers to get RO in :p
The frag rack isn't final (needed something to get going crooked legs included!) but even now my space doubled lol. Don't ask how all that fit in a 10g before.
I may or may not put in 2 tiers. I will raise it with some taller legs and submount a sheet of lexan below the grid to control the flow pattern more.
Light: 4x 39 T5HO Tek (UVL bulbs, 1x Super actinic, 2x Actinic White (50:50), 1x 75:25).
Remora C
2x Koralia 1 (top) 2x Koralia 3 (bottom). They run in opposite pairs (eg top left and bottom right) switching every 15min with the Chauvet timer.

837_27_04_08_10_06_09.jpg

LOL!

Btw, Ian's diamond bandsaw worked really well. VERY clean cuts with very little coral sawdust. Frags barely needed rinsing after cutting. The saw cleans up really easily too.

It had nothing to do with intensity or heat.

...I hated the colors I got out of them. fluorescing sucked compared to MH. even tested out 1x UVL super actinic and 1xgiessman (sp?) super actinic...still sucked at fluorescing. I don't know what the deal was. Sure I could have tried other bulbs, but meh.

that and, it sounded like a fun change :-D I have a 70watt sunpod that I played with and it convinced me to go to MH. That and I didn't feel like putting together a big LED setup ;). oh, and although it looks dimmer in the MH photo, it is much brighter in person. I just had the image under exposed so that I wouldn't saturate.

New present for myself (100mm macro) = new pics.

Daniel's rainbow acan
macro%20004%20copy%20small.jpg

Shamrock acan
macro%20006%20copys%20small.jpg

Got this from Mike .and I think he got it from Ian
macro%20011%20copy%20small.jpg

purple-white-green aussie acan
macro%20016%20copy%20small.jpg

Just got this from Bryan..and I think he got it from Ian
macro%20017%20copy%20small.jpg

This is the recovery favia from Jeremy from a while back. It has taken on a slightly different shade. Also...the damn rock is an algae magnet :(
macro%20027%20copy%20small.jpg

Jen Dubb's super nova micro. Eventually, I'll get this into DBTC
macro%20028%20copy%20small.jpg

DBTC sponsor edition
macro%20033%20copy%20small.jpg

Some acan echinata (which looks nicer than in the photo). Eventually this will also be in DBTC
macro%20061%20copy%20small.jpg

C-O-M-B-O-B-R-E-A-K-E-R!!!!

Yes..not an LPS lol
This anemone was picked up as a hickhiker when i started the hobby. It was totally bleached and thought it would die (made it through the live rock cycle and stuff lol).
This is the clone (I have 2 now)
macro%20063%20copy%20small.jpg

That's a very interesting "eh? no money!" :D
Do yo know what kind it is? ... I know, the cheap kind since it didn't cost anything. :bigsmile:

BTW, love the LPSs. :)

No idea. No idea where it is in the tank either lol. It disappeared when I moved and eventually found it again ...both it and it's new clone. After my "incident" over the winter break, I lost it with the re-doing of all the rock :( Who knows..it may show up again in a few months with a lot of friends lol.

thanks :) Feed them a lot and they always are wanting food. they aren't so happy now: cut back on feeding till I can control an algae outbreak.

Two days ago, I woke up to a scary and interesting sight. Strangely, I was amazingly calm and not in a bad mood (wife knew something was up and "avoided me" thinking I would be really moody lol).
img_3971copy.jpg

Luckily, I had water mixed (I keep a reserve in the garage, circulating and heated) so I did a 10% WC (would have done more, but I used some recently with a WC). My skimmer was "stalled" because it had blocked a bit with chaeto on the input, so I took care of that as well, and went to work. Come home at lunch to do another WC but decided not to since everything was almost clear.

At no time, did the corals look stressed. They looked perfectly normal. The foxface was a little stressed, likely because of the lack of "sight" but was( is) perfectly fine. As of now, all is 100% perfect.

There was an odd thing though. My tank has algae..a fair bit (don't judge! :p)...and it looked like this one type of algae exploded and grew super super fast over the period all over. ...and then partially died (went white on most of it).

I measured alk/ca/mg and they were a bit out of balance (not surprising since I haven't tested/adjusted in like 1 month) but I've had them this out of wack before. I don't have a kalk/Ca reactor. My 2 part dosing system was normal (levels were just like the night before when all was perfect).

The only thing left that I can think of, was a big spawning event.

Sounds like the macro went sexual on you? Did you notice it watching you from the otherside of the room? was it oogling you :p

Seriously, sounds like a asexual event :(

Back