Reef nutrition

good return pump for 40g?

So I'm still looking for a good return pump for my 40g setup. It'll be going against ~4' of head and I'm looking to keep it on the lower flow side of things. I was looking at the OceanRunner 2500, but seeing as they seem to be in pretty short supply I'm willing to look at others. The things that attracted me were the low noise level (from experience) and low wattage (38W) and around 300gph at the head-pressure I'll be using it. Any other suggestions?

Quiet one 3000 or 4000? I believe these will fall in the GPH range your aiming for and less wattage used than a eheim 1260.

I run the 3000 now and is pretty silent.

Tunze Pump, 1070.020 is 30W 630GPH.

I have been used both 1070.040 & eheim 1260, the tunze is quieter than the eheim & use less power. I sold that 1260.

The drawback for the tunze though is it has bigger head loss than the eheim.

Yes, not happy with my Quiet-1 4000. As I used it.
Generally nice pump IF you have almost no head back pressure. High-ish flow, low power, quiet.
But under pressure, they kinda stink. Get pretty noisy, and flow drops off very quickly.
I opened it up and it is pretty obvious why.
They have a tiny little impeller, running at a fairly high speed.

I switched to Pan-World 50PX-X, but that is a bit overkill for you.
I have used the Pan World 40PX for years as well, and that was great. Might be a bit low for you, but close.

BTW: If you want ultra-low noise, the Poseidon PS-3 is simply amazing.
Mounted on a heavy block, you have to touch it to know it is on. Really phenomenally quiet.
And just about perfect amount of flow for you.
But it is a bit of an energy hog, and quickly pours all that heat into the tank.
(In our climate, not always so bad, since we have heaters on so much anyway)

Want some pumps cheap?
(Q1-4000, or Poseidon PS-3)
(If you are interested, PM me. Union City.)

thanks for the info and opinions guys.
rygh- how fast does the q1-4000 get noisy? What head-pressure were you running it at?

Tunze 1073.020 looks tempting. Might be a little on the low side for flow, but the 30W is looking good.

It gets noisy immediately. But it is all relative. I really want things dead silent, so am a bit picky.

I tried an experiment. I put a simple 4 foot pipe on it, and put it directly in my sump.
Not really noisy at all.
Much less noisy than my skimmer.

After fiddling more, I realize I have 2 problems.
1) It is actually very sensitive to low pressure INTO the pump.
If I deliberately block the intake a small bit, it gets noisy instantly.
Small/fast impeller probably cavitates easy.
I ran 1.25" pipe all the way to it, (it has a 1" intake), but still seems to be a problem.

2) My big plywood sump is resonating and amplifying the noise.
Double layer with light insulation. Perfect boom-box. Oops.

I paid $84, basically brand new, even have a box, so $60 seems reasonable.
If interested, come over, listen to it with the 4' pipe, and decide.

So does this mean you don't have much of a problem with head pressure causing noise? I'm using it submerged so low intake-pressure isn't an issue for me.

Back