Got Cryptic Creatures?

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by daddio, Aug 31, 2017.

1. daddio

daddio Supporting Member

Our "cryptic" tank is up and running. We have added Copapods and Amphipods. Now we are looking for sponges, tunicates (sea squirts), feather duster worms, and other creatures that live in the dark.. If you guys have any I will gladly buy them (and the rock they are stuck to) I was going to get some online but all I could really find was some "Steve Tyree" 5 pebbles for $100. I would rather my money went to a fellow reefer!
    Cheers! Mark

2. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman Supporting Member

How big is that tank?

3. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

I have some purple sponge and a shell or two have small feather duster living in it you can have. The feather duster sorta come and go on their own at various spots in my tank. The sponge does want some light though.

What about brittle star/worm.

4. daddio

daddio Supporting Member

20 gallons

5. daddio

daddio Supporting Member

we have plenty of brittle star/bristle worm. the purple sponge and dusters would be great! but our tank gets NO light. Are you sure the sponge needs light?

6. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

7. Bruce Spiegelman

Too bad. Love to see someone with Flashlight fish.

8. daddio

daddio Supporting Member

I guess the purple sponge is not gonna work - but thanks! If you have an extra duster, perhaps I could pick up at the frag swap?

9. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

Yeah I'll look for some when it is swap time. They come and go at various places.

daddio likes this.
  10. daddio

daddio Supporting Member

Thanks!

11. Bruce Spiegelman

Problem with non-photosynthetic sponges and a lot of othe cryptic organisms is the difficulty in feeding them properly. Success for many often requires a constant drip feed or at least dosing small amounts a few dozen times a day.

What will yo be feeding the tank and how?

12. daddio

daddio Supporting Member

Since the cryptic tank has Amphipods and Copapods, I am grinding up TDO with a mortar and pestle for them to gut load/eat. I presume the bacteria in the detritus will be consumed by the sponges as they filter water. I am also adding phyto to the cryptic tank twice a day. And when I strain the Rotifers, Tiggers, and Cyclops for feeding the tank, there is waste and bacteria that would make its way through the system. I did manage to harvest several yellow sponges from the underside of my rockwork that seem to be doing well. I cant see them doing any worse in total darkness. Will this be okay?

13. daddio

daddio Supporting Member

The main reason I am doing this is not to have an awesome "sponge farm" but realizing that winter is coming and I dont forsee my culture buckets producing much when it is 40 degrees out. I am not going to heat the buckets so if I dump all the pods in a dark refugium that is heated, I should be able to keep producing. Just looking to add other creatures that may help with water quality at the same time.

14. Kim Pattison

Kim Pattison Supporting Member

Just an FYI you can use a pill crusher from the pharmacy. That is what we use to feed TDO to our fry. No fuss no muss.

Coral reefer and daddio like this.
  15. DEATH BY SNU SNU

DEATH BY SNU SNU Supporting Member

forgive me what is TDO?

16. Bruce Spiegelman

Reef Nutrition pellet food. Good stuff.

17. DEATH BY SNU SNU

DEATH BY SNU SNU Supporting Member

At the risk of asking a stupid question.... I know in freshwater, boiled egg yolk through a nylon sock is used to feed fish fry...is that viable in saltwater?

18. Bruce Spiegelman

Not an expert on rearing saltwater fish, but the simple answer is no -- for a few reasons. First, the vast majority of saltwater fish require live food -- rotifers, etc. My sense is with many, and especially pellagic species, is they need live food asap so they grow as quickly as possible in the wild since size means a higher survival rate. Second, egg yolks really foul a salt water environment.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    daddio likes this.