Reef nutrition

Got my new Sulfur/Sulphur denitrator! (Aquamaxx ts-1)

OK, sick of nitrates. But I have large fish and they eat and poop. For some reason, my live rock and sand (and TWO marine pure blocks) can't keep it down. My nitrate test kit is (impossible to read) testing off the scale and but previously professionally (and expnsively) tested water came up near 200 ppm or something. I can't remember, it's in my Wifebane tank log.

I tried biopellets, which probably should have worked, but the "reactor" I have would allow a few pellets to escape and they cosntantly jam up my skimmer's injection nozzle, and jam up pumps. I tried filter socks, but the goop that the reactor produces clogs them up. In anycase, I got fed up.

Tried vodka dosing a bit, but I'm too disorganized to do it on a daily basis. A dosing pump might have worked.
I have chaeto in the sump, but it never seems to grow. Not sure why, but it's not helping as a nitrate export if it's not growing.

So now I bought a sulphur reactor, on xcaret's suggestion (Thanks!)

I wanted to set it up NOW, since I have everything, but I'm heading home for the holidays and nothing good happens fast on a reef tank. So I'm aching to use it, especially since there is a ramp up/break in time for the reactor and it would seem like a waste to lose that time ... but ... I don't want to come home to a dead tank.

I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes. I really didn't want to add something like this, and I wished that I could have had space for some large remote deep sand bed (and I in fact added sand to the main tank at an attempt to retrofit a DSB, but so far nothing is happening nitrate wise).

V

Back