Neptune Aquatics

grafting/mixing corals?

Anyone have any experience with this? I had a red Monti and Seasons Greetings that were way too big, so figured I'd cut them back a bit and see if I could combine them. Anything else to it other than just putting the pieces next to each other?

Also, have some green psammocora that has spread like crazy, so gonna try to put a blue acro right on top of it. What do you think?

IMG_0091.JPG IMG_0093.JPG IMG_0094.JPG

Certain plates do grow together, but it's a crapshoot for everything else. Everything else basically tries to overgrow whatever it's placed next too and what you see is a line where they meet and battle each other if they're both quick growers.

I can almost guarantee that the Psammacora will kill off the Acropora as it stings, encrust, and swallows it.

I’m pretty sure the coral have to be the same species to have any chance at grafting. Monti cap with Monti cap, Monti danae with monti danae. It’s just a guess, buut the grafted corals I have seen were very similar, they just had different colors

Hey, I recognize that blue acro on top of the green psammocora, did you get that at the frag swap? :)
Ha, I did, good eye. Thanks for it, was super encrusted so thought it would have a good chance against the psammocora. I had a yellow acro next to the psammocora a few months ago and the acro was definitely winning before I moved it, so gonna give this blue guy a try. Also, I really like the color contrast of the blue acro vs. green base.

@Oakland Evan have you been able to figure out what kind of acro it is?
I’m was never good with specific names people give their corals. I can’t remember if that acro had a name when i bought it, but it has always held its beautiful blue color.
I’m glad you took a chance on it at the swap even though it was labeled “no name acro”

Back