Cali Kid Corals

Green Astreopora

Bryan was nice enough to stop by and help me chop up two Astreopora today, so here's the DBTC thread for the green one.

I have 5 pieces of this available. Astreopora is commonly considered an SPS similar in care requirements to encrusting Montipora species. It's supposed to be hardy, and this one is green.

You should have a well established tank and a good track record with SPS.

astreoporas.jpg

I'm interested in the green too. This coral has been on my looking for list since early on. It was co cool to see you post the first photos of the two colonies.

I would like to have a pink one.

edit * - oops. nevermind. I just saw there was another thread for the pink one.

Make that 2 unclaimed pieces. It seems that if a snail knocks one face down on a Platygyra and it sits there all day there won't be much left.

Mine came with a bit of red hair algae which is taking over the frag. Because it's growing in a pit in the frag and not on the plug I'm going to have to peroxide dip it.

I'm pretty sure mine is dead. That red hair turf algae slowly took over polyp by polyp, manual removal was impossible due to how it was growing inside the polyps.

As a last ditch effort two nights ago I did a heavy&long peroxide dip killed off all the red turf algae. It bleached the entire surface of the coral but it left the polyps inside the coral's skeleton alive. Tonight I'm getting some polyp extension for the first time in weeks. To prevent a resurgence of a hidden red turf I sealed off the frag with super glue, filled any dead polyps, crevices, and sides with glue and put it on a new plug.

DSCF1771.JPG

Burned but with the polyp extension and removal of algae i expect a full recovery :)

Back