Kessil

Green Goniopora

I have 2good sized frags of this for DBTC- pic below is of a frag. I've had the mother colony for over 3 years and it has thrived in my tank. I've passed off a few frags to other BAR members who have also had good success with this coral. You should add food to your tank such as RN, cyclopeze, etc. and it's a bonus if you attended the "Goniopora" BAR meeting where Justin C. spoke. Also you need to have or have access to a bandsaw or dremel for fragging. Pickup at BAR meeting Dec. 11. Standard DBTC rules and if I lose my colony I go to top of list.
Pick # 1-20.

Very nice coral, I've had it for several years and it had a decent growth. I'll have 2 frags of green one I could offer in case CookieJar runs out of his offerings in this DBTC

FYI the red goni I got from you Bill is dominating. I finally figured out to set it immediately next to the spot in my tank where the detritus settles and it just chills w/all polyps full out and just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Everywhere else in there was just too violent.

Wow, that is a beautiful colony! Besides supplemental tank feeding, can you tell us what conditions it is thriving under (light, flow, neighboring colonies, etc.)?

99- that's a pic of one of the frags, the colony is a little smaller than a tennis ball. the frags mostly cover a square disk and when extended it's about 3-4" diameter so they're pretty large for frags.
I've had it in 2 different conditions where it's thrived; 1st is 10" water, underneath XM 20K 250W. Par is around 3-400 for it and the flow is moderate. The 2nd condition is my frag tank where it is under 4 T5s (Ati Blue +, Figi purple & Geishman actinic) & 1 blue Reefbright LED suppliment and flow is low. From my experience, I've had 3 gonis and they've all thrived in conditions of moderate to low flow and medium to low lighting. I haven't had any sweepers bother them and they do coexist fine next to another goni although the stop each other from growing in that direction.

Beautiful big frag! Thanks for letting me know the conditions that lead to your goniopora thriving. My orange goni colony was doing great... really extension, until I put it too close to a brain/maze coral whose sweepers caused the goni polyps to retract.

I would love a frag, but am not sure if I qualify, due to the recent retraction of my orange goni polyps. I am fortunate to have access to Screebo's nice coral saw. Will be at tomorrow's meeting.

99sf- I'll bring you the 2nd frag. so far this coral has had a 100% success rate in several different tanks, so I suggest giving it a shot if you have a medium/ low flow area you can put it.

Thanks again Bill... the polyps have already opened & fully extended. I'm excited about watching this mini-colony grow.

Bill, thanks for the hookup, unfortunately I lost it. My red one is still clinging to life, barely, and my blue one is just now finally coming back to life after a long long struggle. Sorry I failed

Back