got ethical husbandry?

Green Marine closing soon

I stopped by yesterday and bought a couple of pieces of coral--learned the same information about the closure at the end of January. It's a shame that a purely captive-bred reef shop is closing.

Until then he is loaded with clownfish in multiple varieties, and small sizes for the most part. Find a way to support the store and the closure will keep getting pushed back. Shawn was planning to close a month ago and he is still getting a little business. He is doing a great solo job given his limited industry knowledge.

I'm partial in that it is local for me. Good to see BAR members make it in there.

I had the same feeling before, I doubt from the beginning about the business model. Hobby is hobby, business has to make profit. SW is a niche-market, the low volume nature just don't support low margin business model, esp. for LFS.

But is there really negative post? I thought everything I read about GM is great.

The tanks were looking poor for a while and heard of some pests. Looks like someone is there helping out and everything is looking much better. I dont want to see this place go. You can't beat the prices!!

I picked up some good deals there.

I donated a few sps colonies to GM a few weeks ago and he was trying to clean up the tanks that were left in shambles. they have nice corals , but they have to color up again. unfortunately he is running out of time. its too bad prices are great.

Some of my most colorful pieces came from GM.

Too dang bad I live so dang far away.

The truth is, he could up his frag price 50% and still be a deal.

ryanjiang said:
I had the same feeling before, I doubt from the beginning about the business model. Hobby is hobby, business has to make profit. SW is a niche-market, the low volume nature just don't support low margin business model, esp. for LFS.

But is there really negative post? I thought everything I read about GM is great.
The business model worked. What doesnt work is when the partner that is the entire knowledge base parts ways and the partner left is not only trying to learn to run a businesss, hes also trying to learn to be a hobbyist at the same time.

I have seen low volume high quality lfs make it all over the US and even here ib the bay area.

sfsuphysics said:
GreshamH said:
I have seen low volume high quality lfs make it all over the US and even here ib the bay area.

Do you see low volume low price also succeed though?
sfsuphysics said:
GreshamH said:

Do you see low volume low price also succeed though?

+1

How many $10 frags a month must be sold to at least break even with rent, utilities, supplies, fees, etc. I've admired their captive bred philosophy and low prices but can a storefront business be run as such?

Exactly.

Thumb up for the philosophy & question on model.

Let's assume the selling volume can reach the break even point, given the existing low price practice, the volume has to be huge. Do you think there is enough supply to support the monthly selling volume? How many ORA product can you order? how many frags can hobbyist produce? Corals do not grow up like weeds really.

I think we are jumping the gun here. Green Marine has not made any formal statement on this issue and it is over?.... Like any business, it requires hard work, love, and positive words of mouth and I have to give it to Shaun that he has made quite an improvement and progresses on the business and the products since inheriting the GM in a short time. He may be discourage at time, but he is more encouraged by the support of the community and BAR, and I think with more support, he will head into the new year on a better note.

euod said:
I think we are jumping the gun here. Green Marine has not made any formal statement on this issue and it is over?.... Like any business, it requires hard work, love, and positive words of mouth and I have to give it to Shaun that he has made quite an improvement and progresses on the business and the products since inheriting the GM in a short time. He may be discourage at time, but he is more encouraged by the support of the community and BAR, and I think with more support, he will head into the new year on a better note.
well said!
We should all try to get in there and give them words of encouragement.
Oh yeah, and buy something.

ryanjiang said:
Exactly.

Thumb up for the philosophy & question on model.

Let's assume the selling volume can reach the break even point, given the existing low price practice, the volume has to be huge. Do you think there is enough supply to support the monthly selling volume?

Yes.

How many ORA product can you order?

A lot

how many frags can hobbyist produce? Corals do not grow up like weeds really.

Don't forget that the model involved small frags. They were getting over 100 from me every other month.

Thales said:

How many ORA product available let's say when a customer step into a LFS randomly? Most of time you have to special order a product, availability is unknown till store calls ORA. Many product have limitation on quantity of order. All these look to me there is no steady supply from ORA.

Back