Neptune Aquatics

Green Tip Nem with Purple Foot?

Hey Guys,

I've been admiring Jason's BTAs for a while now and wished I could have one to care for in my aquarium. Anyhow, today I bought one what appeared to be a green tipped anemone with a purple case. Its not as purple as Jason's but close enough. I just took it home and it is acclimating now. I'll take photos later and maybe you can help me ID it.

Cheers
JD

After 2 hours of dripping, I finally put him in there. He is a nice looking anemone!

29061_426175403474_733508474_544120.jpg

@ Jrocha.. $129 at aquarium showroom in San Jose. It's the most I ever paid for a single livestock but I've been dreaming of these guys for months now.

@ Eldiablo: thanks. I could stare at this guy for hours. I'm lucky to have my clown host real fast. He bounces back and forth between two BTAs now.

@ Gresham: thanks for helping ID. Do these comes from specific areas? They seem harder to find than the RBTAs.

nice. and 125 is ok. people spend thousands of dollars on stuff all the time. I spent 400 on my dwarf golden moray. is that a maroon clown? if so do you have any rose anemones? I ask because i had a 10 inch purple long tentacle before then I put in my rose and my gold band maroon stopped taken care of my purple and actually stole the food from it to feed the rose and the purple ended up dying. don't know if that has happened to other people though. either way that nem has some nice colors. stands out.

Jrocha: Wow thats a lot of bucks. My wife would kill me! :)

Yeah this is a maroon clown and no RBTA. I have two BTAs now a green one and this new purple. I'll keep an eye on him just in case he tries to sabotage one in favor of the other other. What is good to feed these guys? I used to feed silver sides to a Condi before and he seemed to have liked it. This green RBTA has only been getting mysis shrimp every other day. I'm thinking they need more than that. They are both more than 4 inches across when fully opened.

The likelihood that an anemone of a reef head actually gets a fish the size of a silverside is very low. They prefer small, more often feedings in all my research on them. Mysis, mysids, etc are all great.

Be careful not to overfeed. That is where I made mistakes and now that I feed a bit of mysis once per month I see that my anemones are much happier and I haven't had any deaths using my method. Sometimes they might catch a brine shrimp or two when I feed the tank.

Well not too little. Since I don't have the best lights that I could have they digest slower. For Christmas I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the new 29 Gallon BC with 150w MH-HQI. My anemones will be happier there with more light, more food, and they won't be effected by anything but the clownfish... an me. :bigsmile:

i don't feed my nems. they get food when I feed the tank. if they catch it they eat it and my clowns do their job and feed them for me. That is why I love maroon clowns. my girl has a pair of platinum clowns and they don't feed the nem. they bairly even go in it. sad little clowns.

Euphyllia said:
Well not too little. Since I don't have the best lights that I could have they digest slower. For Christmas I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the new 29 Gallon BC with 150w MH-HQI. My anemones will be happier there with more light, more food, and they won't be effected by anything but the clownfish... an me. :bigsmile:

WHAT? Scuse me but what does light have to do with digestion? Answer... nothing
IN fact, they depend on food MORE when there is less light (a food source in itself) ;)

There is a lot of misinformation out there. I've seen quite a few sites recommending small fishes for nems. Honestly, I think that is too much unless the nem is big. I'll keep feeding mysis for now and observe. So far they look happy.

As far as lighting, are there specific intensities and wavelengths that brings out the colors? I'm running 2x150W MH 14k and 2x54W Blue Plus T5s. The green nem is not as green as it used to be when I first got him and he picked a spot under a rock directly under one of the halides. He is about 24" from the light.

GreshamH said:
Euphyllia said:

WHAT? Scuse me but what does light have to do with digestion? Answer... nothing
IN fact, they depend on food MORE when there is less light (a food source in itself) ;)

I thought that better lighting helps the zooxanthalle to photosynthesize and provide more glucose which keep gives the anemone more energy and in that case the energy would help the anemone to digest the food quicker. The food would provide nutrients for the zooxanthalle to multiply which starts the entire process again. (I learned that stuff in science when we learned about how photosynthetic stuff stays alive!) :)
That is my logic, but you've been in the hobby much much longer than I have and you are more experienced with this, so I'll trust what you say and feed my anemone more often. How often would you suggest I feed them?

Euphyllia said:
I thought that better lighting helps the zooxanthalle to photosynthesize and provide more glucose which keep gives the anemone more energy and in that case the energy would help the anemone to digest the food quicker. The food would provide nutrients for the zooxanthalle to multiply which starts the entire process again. (I learned that stuff in science when we learned about how photosynthetic stuff stays alive!) :)
That is my logic, but you've been in the hobby much much longer than I have and you are more experienced with this, so I'll trust what you say and feed my anemone more often. How often would you suggest I feed them?

Once/twice a week with mysis and they'll be fine. Probably don't need a super strict schedule and I'm sure they get some food when you feed the rest of your tank. If they look a little weak at times, add another feeding. Go with what works for you

Back