Kessil

Green worm ID

I came home from work and saw this weird & cool worm crawling on the front display, with lights fully on. I've never seen something like this before, can anyone ID it and know if it's harmful, beneficial or neutral? I have it in a cup and am not sure whether it should go back in the tank or not.
The length of the body is about 1 1/4" when extended.

It looks like a Terebellidae Spaghetti worm to me. They were one of the first hitchhikers I encountered and initially very much concerned me. If I'm right about it being a spaghetti worm it's a completely harmless detritus eater. Reef safe and actually reef friendly.

bondolo said:
It looks like a Terebellidae Spaghetti worm to me. They were one of the first hitchhikers I encountered and initially very much concerned me. If I'm right about it being a spaghetti worm it's a completely harmless detritus eater. Reef safe and actually reef friendly.

I don't see the red gills on the top though nor does the body look like one of those to me, a non marine worm expert. They also form their own tubes unlike cirratulids.

Read this

Image3.jpg

terebellid polychaete

Image5.jpg

cirratulid polychaete

although the body shape in this pic does look like a terebellid polychaete.

2011-02-09_142worminball.jpg

Image3.jpg

Oh Lesly we need you :D

thanks for the info. I agree it does look like a Cirratulids worm. I'll release him from his temporary jail back into the tank as he seems to be nothing more than an innocent scavenger. Why he was crawling on the front panel is a mystery to me- I've never seen something like it out in the open with all the lights on.

Back