Kessil

Gresham's Tanks

G

Well I wasn't going to do this, but since these are coming down soon due to termites and a new tank, I thought I'd finally show my two little work horse :)

Set-up #1

20 year old glass tank with failling silicone (thanks to super glue for stopping the leak).
Drilled rear panel with 1" bulkhead.
Feeds into common sump.
Eheim return pump
Tunze Nanostream
2x 24" T5 Actinic
1x 150w DE 50KK in PFO mini pendant

One fish, christmas wrasse from Tonga (hasn't grown in over a year) 3" with male/changing colors
One bluestripe pipe
lots of coral

This tank was set-up ~10 years ago as a place to stick extra live rock (holding tank). It kind grew into being my "display" tank as a livestock overflow tank :) It now serves as a great place to grow copepods/mysids/etc for my pipe and wrasse.

(Pictures latere)

Set up #2

3 year old custom Tru-Vu acrylic frag tank (36"x18"x14")
Tunze Stream
2x 36" T5 actinic (replacing 2x 54w PC)
1x 150w DE 50KK in a SLS mini pendant
Eheim return

One fish, 6 line evil wrasse (loves to pick at AEFW though, and ridded me of the monti/zoa nudis or at leat helped rid them). I lost my sailfin algae blenny recently to an unknown cause.

This tank is my "work horse" frag tank. It's not big, but never has it not been filled to the rim. I'm about to start doing "Coral candy" just to get some more room.

The sump
20g DIY (15 years old :) )
CPR Bak Pak (first generation)
Carbon
Polypad (Poly marinebio)
10g TruVu flat back hex refugium fed by maxijet600 and lit by 4x 18w NO

All top of passes thru my kalk reactor fed by a paristaltic pump. The reactor has a magnetic stirrer on it that I can tune down to .5 secondd on/off if I like :)

ALl heat is pulled from my room via a 4" inline fan that soon will be replaced with a 6" for my new tank. I use two room fans to keep the air miving around in the room.

Currently I'm using normal Intermatic timers but only because I am trying to wear them out. I have others for my new set-up (more later).

Same here.

BTW, those 50kk bulbs, are they the Iwasaki? I've been thinking about a new bulb or two but in the pics that I've seen, they're usually supplemented by actinics. How are the colors on those bulbs when you run them alone?

They're a bit pink when run on their own(when older). I use actinics to help with that though :) Iwasaki, yup.

Great growth and certain colors really do pop (pinks, reds, purples, blues, greens, yellows. browns :) )

Have you taken any PAR measurements with it? I'm interested in how it would compare to say an Astralux 14k bulb.

They sound like the bulbs I'm looking for. Can't wait to see the pics.

Just to be clear, my pics aren't going to show much. I had a decent bleaching recently due to low ALK and possiably K. There's not a whole lot of color right now except for the frags I just got from back east. My FT shot isn't that clear due to how I have to hold the camera in the room :(

I've taken PAR readings many times off them and posted it someplace. I'll have to find that post as I don't know where I would ahve that info around here :(

Where I get all my bulbs, from Steve Ruddy at www.coralreefecosystems.com :) (He's a BAR member and coral farmer)

Isn't there a rule about tank threads not having pictures? Doesn't the person who starts the thread have to part out his tanks for free of course.... just to the current members that he (or she) so wrongfully violated by leaving them out :D

Only to members with over 1.5K posts and only on the 32nd day of Feb. Said members must also be able to jump 14ft straight up unassisted from a sitting position. LAst requirement is said members can not have editted their post between the hours of 7pm and 8pm today :D

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=2632.msg27718#msg27718 date=1196668075]
Only to members with over 1.5K posts and only on the 32nd day of Feb. Said members must also be able to jump 14ft straight up unassisted from a sitting position. LAst requirement is said members can not have editted their post between the hours of 7pm and 8pm today :D
[/quote]

Nice! I couldn't have come up with a better response myself.... but wait, I edited my post before 7pm.... I HAVE A CHANCE! ya right :)

Does anyone have the Popes phone number? I need to talk to him about extending Feb. and I can't find his phone number anywhere :D

:Dude, you need some pictures. It's been almost a week since this thread has been opened. I want to see what 50kk looks like. :D

Why do you think pictures are going to show you what a 50KK looks lke? You don't think I WB correct everything I post :) I gave you a link to the best 50KK picture source on the net ;) FWIW my colors are WAY off as noted earlier in the thread. Showing you my tank now will not be a good way to judge the color in other words :)

I do have some pics, I just need to process them :(

Hmm, I see; the reason I asked is because I plan on running the bulb by itself, with no actinic supplementation (the picture in the link uses VHO also). I just ordered one of the bulbs from the link, so I'll just check them out when it gets here (also have a 14kk Phoenix on the way).

Well then none of my pics would help as they all have actinic sup. I also stated some place I didn't think the bulb would be a good stand alone source ;) Wait, was that on another thread? :D

I will be rather pissed(joking) if you get the last one in stock before he gets my two in the new shipment :) He had one left, I said I'd wait for the new shipment (this week) :/

I've been running some 8kk bulbs over the tank instead of 14kk as I thought they'd be, so anything beyond that is gonna be a welcomed change.

If I get mine before your's you're welcomed to it since the Phoenix is on the way as well.

Back