got ethical husbandry?

Growth sequences (graphics intensive)

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
Unsure where to put this, but since this is a photo diary of sorts, this looks good.

There are some pictures I've taken of corals over the past 9 months or so (mostly) they are not always in the best focus, best white balance, etc, mostly because the earlier pictures were taken with an inferior camera, and I didn't have photohack back then, now I have a camera that does have whitebalance and/or white balance out in PS-cs2, then they look more true to color. But since I fragged a few of these up decided now would be a great time to take pictures.

First the "hey brown is a color too" tri"color" acropora :D Picked this up at the BA-CFM for $5
July 12, 2006 (what it looks like after taking LSD)
20060712cf3.jpg

Sept. 23, 2006 (has shown very good growth, green polyps, tips are still purple, starting to encrust onto the rock structure)
20060923ct2.jpg

April 23, 2007 (magnificent growth into bushiness, base has encrusted almost as wide as the top, I'm almost waiting for secondary branches to form from it, tips are still a very bright purple, picture is over-saturated and the didn't photograph well)
20070423kx4.jpg

This is my "Radioactive Tenius" frag I also picked up for $5 at the BA-CFM

July 12, 2006 (Yikes talk about color imbalance with the picture! This looks more like something an online coral store would post, however look at the different shades of the coralite's tips compared to the body)
20060712fa4.jpg

Sept. 23, 2006 (Not that much growth, but the color rendition is better, lots o polyps)
20060923vg8.jpg

April 23, 2006 (Much more growth, the most accurate color rendition, coralite's tips are ultra glowie)
20070423xz5.jpg

Here's another I got... guess how much... guess where... yup :)

July 12, 2006 (Unsure what type of coral this is, here it is looking not so impressive)
20060712at0.jpg

Sept. 23, 2006 (Starting to encrust onto the frag plug, not much vertical growth however)
20060923vc8.jpg

April 23, 2007 (Very slow grower, frag plug is completely encrusted and onto my rock structure, has what looks like a bud starting on the side, however look at the super sweet sky blue reservoir tip on that bad boy! :D When/if this thing branches a bunch those blue tips are going to look sexy)
20070423we9.jpg

Here's an Acropora Tortuosa (aka Tort) that I managed to... nope not $5, not BACFM, get from Steve at New Alameda Aquatics, he had this totally kick ass colony in one of his tanks, that made a couple "frags" when someone was cleaning it, needless to say I wanted it, Jim (bookfish) mentioned it was a Becker or a Beckett tort but eh.. who knows, anyways Steve very shortly there after lost this colony (as well as many corals) due to that nasty 4 lettered acronym!!!!

May 30, 2006 (Kind of purplish.. not very happy, bastard kept getting knocked off the frag plug and I kept having to reglue)
20060530lx1.jpg

August 13, 2006 (Decided to mount it to the main rock structure, this was not a coral to be moved around, it was a show piece! Purple went away under 12000k bulbs, I'm sure if I had 20000k bulbs it may have stayed, green base showed up.. no biggy it's still a hot looking coral)
20060813ij7.jpg

September 23, 2006 (So why did I take this picture a month later? because I took pictures of everything else at the time, duh! Nice and polypie!)
20060923yw7.jpg

April 23, 2006 (11 months later, here's it all branching, it's encrusted to the rock very little more energy seems to have gone into making branches, it's almost a solid blue with the exception of the new growth which are a very light blue/almost purple)
20070423bf3.jpg

Here's one final one, you know where I got it if you've been following this :) Unsure what kind it is, it's VERY thick, might be A. samoensis, A. Florida, but I prefer my name Acropora Whatthehellisits

July 12, 2006 (Not very impressive at all, but eh, it had a neat look to it, tan with more tan.. )
20060712ui6.jpg

April 23, 2006 (Never took other pictures so straight to today, this is a top down picture so it doesn't give a feel for how tall it's grown.. it really hasn't grown too much taller but this is the single thickest branched acropora I've seen... oh yeah, don't over look those plain looking corals, your ugly duckling could turn into an Ultra Rare So Damn Limited Only I Have This Coral Collectors Edition just like this one!!! Ok maybe not that much, but it is a nice color no? :))
20070423jr6.jpg

nice pics Mike, I hat to tell you that Blue milli frag you gave me didn't make it. : (

I guess I will need to look for those $5 deals to....actually I think I was with you when you bought most of the stuff.

The blue milli is still looking good, the sps took a step back when I dipped the crap out of everything from my flatworm scare. Stuff turned brown, but still looking good.

I'll give Arnold a frag when it grows out.

Great job Mike - things are looking really nice! :D

It's ok Arnold, my colony is still kicking strong and I did give pieces of that to quite a few people so some should be chugging along. And yeah, that one guy I was with was where I bought most of that stuff, I think you picked up something too.

Eileen: Good to hear, although you're running the same bulbs as me, I'm curious if that thing is a "curse" (if you can call that nice blue color a curse) of the reeflux bulbs, or if it's something else, oh well I'm sure other have non-RF bulbs. Thanks for the kind words, I posted this almost 3 weeks ago and just now getting a response.. maybe I should have done a flicker or something rather than spamming a topic with pictures.. .. or maybe have anmated pictures. but that's beyond my scope of caring :D

The blue is a nice really subtle blue - kinda like frosted wheaties.

I love it, it ranks up there with the red milli I got from Reeffer (aka Arman).

Back