Neptune Aquatics

Guest Speaker Tony Vargas for December 15th meeting

IMG_1558-1-1-A-F-2.jpg

Front_Cover_A.jpg

Bay Area Reefers is proud to announce Tony Vargas as our guest speaker for our December 15th meeting (3rd Saturday). We will meet at Chabot College at 1pm. Meeting is in Room 804.

Tony Vargas Bio:

Author of the “The Coral Reef Aquarium”• In the hobby for more than 20+ years with numerous articles since the 90sTony Vargas started his aquatic adventures at the age of seven, with Guppies in a pickle jar. Shortly thereafter, he was breeding a large host of freshwater tropical’s. In the early eighties he took a giant leap forward and assembled his very first salt water aquarium (fish only). Moving on to more challenging waters, in the mid 1980′s, he took another leap forward and experimented with marine invertebrates and corals.Moving forward in the late eighties a handful of aquarist including Tony were among the first in United States to successfully keep and maintain Acropora alive in captivity, long term. Tony began to share this experiences and knowledge with others through the many articles he wrote in a column titled “Feature Coral” for FAMA magazine. One of the Acropora articles in FAMA was acknowledge in Carden Wallace text book on Acropora titled “Staghorn Corals of the World”.Today, Tony SCUBA dives around the world taking underwater photos and observing many of these creatures in their natural environment. With his writings he has effectively communicated his experiences and observations. Tony has traveled the States and Europe giving lectures and consultations on corals, reef fish husbandry, and complete system design.Recently, Tony has completed work on his forthcoming book titled “The Coral Reef Aquarium”. This book focuses on the basics of reef keeping, how to properly assemble a coral reef aquarium (five great examples), and the long term care of these critters in a captive environment. Forward by Sanjay Joshi and Preface by J. Charles Delbeek.

Successful_Reef-1.jpg

Tony will give a talk on "Successful Reef Aquariums ver 2.0"
. It entails tank design conception to completion with illustrations from some of the most beautiful reef tanks in the world.

What a great way to wrap up the year! I get the feeling that after seeing Tony's photos I am going to come down with a serious case of tank envy. :bigsmile:

We are still having the BAR annual potluck, it is just being pushed out to January. The holiday season is already bustling with activity for everyone, so we can relax a bit in January and enjoy good food with great company.

Will there be copies of his book "The Coral Reef Aquarium" available for purchase at this event ? Is he signing copies of his book or better yet can I get his signature on my lower back (right above my butterfly tattoo ?)

We'll have a couple of copies of Tony's book fof the raffle. Tony mentioned he would be happy to do a signing, but you would have to ask him about signing body parts. :D

Back