High Tide Aquatics

Guilty confessions

I'm wondering what are the things that you know you should do but for whatever reason you don't. Like for me, when I do a water change I'm sure I should be matching the water temp of the new water to what's in the tank but I don't.

Anyone else willing to admit to doing things that maybe cut the corners?

I want to trade my small oscellaris clownfish for a designer clownfish because he behaves like a dumb fish. He has an entire 40 gallon tank to swim around but wants to swim in a 2 inch space underneath the shaded overflow box where no one can see him.

I want to trade my leopard wrasse for a yellow wrasse because her colors are very boring.

No one else willing to confess?

Wanting to trade in your children for new interesting ones is pretty bad but I think killing them is worse.

I used to not QT any new livestock. I got lucky for the first couple years - fish were healthy, no algae. Then I ran through 2 bad ich outbreaks, one round of flatworms, almost 2 years of HA blooms & a bunch of losses to convince myself that QT rules both time & cost wise.

I'm still cutting corners on maintenance such as skipping scheduled WCs, not cleaning pumps regularly. When I get time from work and family I deal with the tank, but these days it's not enough time.

One more: I should plan my tank upgrades, equipment & layout better. My current tank has over 5 years since it's running, and it's still a work in progress, specially its sump is a big mess right now :(.

I've always been told to dose equal amounts of a balanced two part solution, but I've always dosed and measured Calc and Alk independently.

I left my clownfish in the back chambers of my nano cube over night once to punish him for jumping behind there. Its such a pita to get him out.

Hahaha, I've had that same thing happen too....woke up in the morning....where is your partner....not on the floor....lift up the lid....oh, there he is in chamber 3 with the return pump:)

Haha no way, the same thing happened to my clown as well. When I noticed she was gone, I immediately looked on the floor, then around the tank. Then there she was. Looking (o_O) at me from the back chamber:rolleyes: But thats too funny that this has happened to others as well. And yes Michael I agree, it sucks getting them out. My dumb net is too big to fit well in the chamber.

We have a 14 gallon biocube with that back sump area. The clownfish would swim back there and get stuck.

So we cut a hole in the overflow teeth. Now he can swim back and forth as long as he doesn't grow too big.

I still have the hood on my 14g so I have been thinking of buying a small "L shaped" piece of plastic and then glue it to the back side of the light cover to cut off the small gap between the clear light guard and black sump wall....thoughts???

Not my picture, but my clown once jumped in the area between the two pumps...
You can see my frustration
28_led-nanocube-6.jpg

I buy too much stuff and don't bother to set them up forever, if ever. IE, Media reactors, SL2/ALC module, Kalk, Dosers...

That and no QT, leave dirty filter socks in sump when I replace for clean one (until I get 3), skimmer cup is way too dirty...

Reviving this thread because maybe public disclosure will get my rear in gear.
Have a sweet Apex, have never cleaned the probes. Freaked out when it read salinity 31 but it's the probe not the water and I still haven't cleaned it.
Got BRS dosers which I smiled at then promptly put in a cabinet because I didn't feel like reading the directions and trying to figure out where to place them in my system.
Feeling overwhelmed at idea of setting up QT for fish and maybe another for corals, so have not done either and still have not gotten fish for tank despite student pleas.
Never got a handle on algae and nonworking skimmer due to maxi jets repeatedly breaking impellers in 12g clown tank so my pair hosts in algae.
Lastly, I have cursed out loud at a bucket of rotifer zooplankton culture for making me feed them and change their water. Then I laughed at myself and looked at them under the microscope to remember how super cool they are.
Definitely not a boring hobby.

Have a sweet Apex, have never cleaned the probes. Freaked out when it read salinity 31 but it's the probe not the water and I still haven't cleaned it.

I will admit I've never cleaned my probes in the two years this system has been up and running. The Salinity probe is very difficult to calibrate and get useful numbers from, IMHO - with or without maintenance.

My electrical cords are a rats nest dangling over my ATO tank...
added a cover over the tank finally but still a huge knot of cords.

I have panduit to fix it for months, but would have to take it all apart to fix and just leave the mess.
Maybe when i get a new controller

Back