Our mission

Gurgling, oh my!

Well, the tank is finally setup (minus lights - I'm really dragging my feet on this as you can see).

The overflow drain on the right (fed by a 1.5" Durso-type drain) flows down to the sump via one inch flex pvc - nice and silent.

The overflow drain on the left is taking forever to settle out (same setup). The only difference between the two, is that the left drain - drains directly down into the sump via one inch pvc (as in the sump is directly under the drain).

This drain line will be okay for awhile and then starts to make the flushing/gurgling noise all over again.

So what's my fix?

How big is the air hole on the Durso stand pipe? If the hole is too big, it will suck down a lot of air and cause the flushing problem.

That is interesting. When I make my standpipe, I don't use the cap and it make a lot of noise. When I put on the cap that is drilled with a small hole, the noise stop.

True, the water noise will be less with a cap in place. Mine are that way too.

But if you have actual flushing with water level changing like crazy inside the overflow, making all kinds of racket, then that is siphoning do to inadequate air inlet on the durso.

Back