Reef nutrition

Hanna Phosphate Checker

My phosphates have been showing 0 with API test kit but I want a more accurate reading. Saw this on Reef Builders awhile back and wondering if thats a pretty good deal. Looks like a good deal to me compared to what other reefers use.

Seems the trend for the affordable digital testing equipment might take off, I just sold one, different model but did not have much use for it, like the drop counting I guess, old school?

I got mine. How to tell if it is accurate is another story! Seems like a good general ball park, and more accurate than comparing shades of blue.

That's great that you already received your new digital phosphate tester. My old-school phosphate test is not very accurate. Maybe we can see the meter in action during this weekend's tank tour?

I got around to testing my phosphates today and it's at .16. I wanna see how much lower it will go when I change my GFO.

Pretty cool meter for a good price an it's compact. Also comes with 6 regeants but don't forget to purchase more when you place your order.

Thales said:
I got mine. How to tell if it is accurate is another story! Seems like a good general ball park, and more accurate than comparing shades of blue.

Can you compare it to something at work>?

Phosphate is very confused. The quick tests at CAS showed them to be pretty close. The question is, which on was closer?

I got mine today, and am confused about the instruction. It seems to say after adding the powder, swirl for 20 seconds, put the tube back into the checker, then wait for 3 minutes, then push the botton for several seconds until a 3 minutes count down clock appears. But when I follow the instruction and wait 3 minutes before push the botton, the checker just turns off and start from beginning again.

I checked twice without waiting for 3 minutes before start the count down clock, and both read 0 at the end. While this is a great number, I doubt it is true since I have some algae growing.

Thales said:
Phosphate is very confused. The quick tests at CAS showed them to be pretty close. The question is, which on was closer?

Quick test? As in normal test kit? You guys don't have something a little better then a test kit?

GreshamH said:
Thales said:

Quick test? As in normal test kit? You guys don't have something a little better then a test kit?

We have a quick color changing colorimeter kit that takes 2 minutes, and we have a very involved (lab coat goggles fume hood) method that takes 20 minutes if you want to do one test and is accurate to about +/- 0.005 ppm.

I'm guessing Rich did the former.

tonggao said:
I got mine today, and am confused about the instruction. It seems to say after adding the powder, swirl for 20 seconds, put the tube back into the checker, then wait for 3 minutes, then push the botton for several seconds until a 3 minutes count down clock appears. But when I follow the instruction and wait 3 minutes before push the botton, the checker just turns off and start from beginning again.

I checked twice without waiting for 3 minutes before start the count down clock, and both read 0 at the end. While this is a great number, I doubt it is true since I have some algae growing.

the directions suck. I messed up the first time and read it a couple of times til I understood.

This I what I do.

Add water to both vials.
Add regeant to one of the vials.
Put the black cap on one of the vials to let you know which is which.
Press button.
Add C1 should show.
Put vial with no regeant in and close cap.
Press button and you will see "---"
Remove vial once you see Add C2.
Take 1st vial out and put in 2nd vial with regeant.
Hold button and 3 min timer begins.
Results show up after timer.

tonggao said:

Phosphate is not the only factor contributing to algae growth - and you can't assume you have phosphate just because you have algae.

I think the instructions seem confusing because you can either wait three minutes yourself OR press and hold the button to activate the timer.

Matt_Wandell said:
GreshamH said:
Thales said:

We have a quick color changing colorimeter kit that takes 2 minutes, and we have a very involved (lab coat goggles fume hood) method that takes 20 minutes if you want to do one test and is accurate to about +/- 0.005 ppm.

I'm guessing Rich did the former.

No - quick tests as in I did them quickly, without multiples and without a standard.

Back