Kessil

Has anyone ever seen a coral turn black?

On Thursday, I came home to the smell of pesticides. All the windows were wide open downstairs. I noticed my Pink Sandollar was turning black around the edges. I never seen this before, and thought nothing about it. By the next morning it was completely black.
IMG_9449.jpg

I started doing water changes, but made a huge mistake, I didn't run carbon immediately, and my tank took a huge hit. I removed everything from the tank, and found something very strange. I had 6 emerald crabs that I put in there to control bubble algae, and all were dead. All the snails in the tank are fine. All the fish are fine.

My acros took the hit, and my lps were pissed off but are alive, at Green Marine, thanks Jim!
So the question I have, does this sound like the pesticide reached my tank, and started the crash. And the fact I didn't use carbon immediately, caused the slide?

I am happy to say, that my only DBTC I've recieved, hasn't died, and hopefully can recover.

Growing up in the valley during the med-fly scare and having a chemical engineer as a father who specialized in killing bugs I still smell it in the back of my sinuses, that and Vapam....

GreshamH said:
Odd..... did it smell like hydrogen sulfide?
No, I didn't smell that. When the chemical smell subsided, my tank smelled like dead acro. I don't know what kind of chemical it was, I assumed it was a pesticide, since I saw the truck next door that morning when I left the house. In hind sight, I should have closed off the house.

What is strange is how that monti, turned black, and is still black as it sits outside.

Do you have access to a wet saw? It would be cool to see how deep the black penetrated the mass.

Back