Cali Kid Corals

Has anyone heard of these new (?) local fish stores?

neuro

Webmaster
Don't know if you can count them as an LFS:
I was browsing through craigslist, and I think I see two new LFSs that I don't hear mentioned frequently:

Reef for Less:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/for/3871980729.html

Keith's Coral Reefs:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/fod/3871764351.html
Keithscoralreefs.com

Anyone experienced with any of these places?

I noticed Reef for Less today and Keith's last week. I haven't heard of them and am thinking they may be garage stores but I don't know for sure

I don't personally know anything about either.

Reefs for Less has a storefront. From Google street view, it used to be Tan Tien Publicatons. From the outside it looks a lot like Robert's or Jess's operations.

Keith's looks like it's a garage operation. No address listed on their website, 'local pickup available'. Does that mean a clandestine meet at the nearest Starbuck's? :)

We need a local on-site report!

I've been to Reef for Less. It's actually within Tan Tien Publications on the second floor. It's a small, legitimate (IIRC, he has the business license but don't quote me on that), shop but there wasn't really much there my past few visits. It's definitely worth checking out but not sure if you'll come out of there with anything. :)

Keith's Coral Reefs looks like a home shop. The website is also atrocious, LoL.

hah that's good to hear about Reefs for Less.

What were they stocking?

and yes,, KCR's website looks totally 5th grade

For you Bob, only if you already plan on visiting Neptune's. Otherwise, probably not. Who knows, it may have drastically changed since my last visit. I haven't been there in a few months. I could check it out this week with an update.

I stopped by two months ago and he had downsized. He no longer has the second floor.The owner is a nice guy and keeps a small selection at good prices. I may stop by from time to time but my preferred shop is Neptune's even though it is twice the distance for me. I wouldn't make a long trip to see the store.

I just stopped by Reef for Less and it appears they moved their facility to the front of the warehouse door instead of that cramped little room on the second floor. If you're local, it's worth stopping by just to check it out but it's definitely not worth driving out there if you're 20+ minutes away.

Hi all. My name is Keith. I started Keith's Coral Reefs. Please excuse our website for not looking as professional as some would like to see but I am not a website builder by any means and I did the site myself. I will have it professionally upgraded later in time as it was launched earlier than I was planning in order to accomadate a requirement for an entity we were doing business with. Also being labeled as clandestine is rather demeaning. Before judging why not come and meet us and then decide? We recently started the business and yes we do operate out of our home, but not our garage as has been labeled.

Hi Keith. I meant no disrespect with the 'clandestine' comment. I've run into several small fish operations run out of their residence that are either unwilling or unable to have the public intrude on their private spaces. Since there is a Starbuck's on almost every corner :) , that is often the meeting place.

Good luck with your venture. Hope to see you at a BAR meet!

Hi Keith. I meant no disrespect with the 'clandestine' comment. I've run into several small fish operations run out of their residence that are either unwilling or unable to have the public intrude on their private spaces. Since there is a Starbuck's on almost every corner :) , that is often the meeting place.

Good luck with your venture. Hope to see you at a BAR meet!

Thank you Aqua-nut. Truth is that it is hard to start a coral business out of your residence. Most suppliers want a brick & mortar & that is understandable. I too want a brick & mortar but until I can leave my day job and take that leap this is what I have to do. My by appointment is just so I can juggle work and family and still try to keep my business growing. Thanks for the support. I plan on delving further into BAR & making meetings & swaps in the future. :)

Hi all. My name is Keith. I started Keith's Coral Reefs. Please excuse our website for not looking as professional as some would like to see but I am not a website builder by any means and I did the site myself. I will have it professionally upgraded later in time as it was launched earlier than I was planning in order to accomadate a requirement for an entity we were doing business with. Also being labeled as clandestine is rather demeaning. Before judging why not come and meet us and then decide? We recently started the business and yes we do operate out of our home, but not our garage as has been labeled.

Thank you Aqua-nut. Truth is that it is hard to start a coral business out of your residence. Most suppliers want a brick & mortar & that is understandable. I too want a brick & mortar but until I can leave my day job and take that leap this is what I have to do. My by appointment is just so I can juggle work and family and still try to keep my business growing. Thanks for the support. I plan on delving further into BAR & making meetings & swaps in the future. :)

Hi Keith, do you have intentions of becoming a BAR Sponsor? :)

If you need any technical/business consulting with your business, please feel free to contact me as I do that professionally. I'd be happy to help you in any way I can, if you're looking for help.

Hi Keith, do you have intentions of becoming a BAR Sponsor? :)

If you need any technical/business consulting with your business, please feel free to contact me as I do that professionally. I'd be happy to help you in any way I can, if you're looking for help.

Thanks. I do plan becoming a supporter soon. I appreciate your offer and was interested in finding out exactly what technical and business consulting you provide. Looking forward to it!

Back