hatching BBS

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Elite, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Elite

Elite Guest

Hey guys, I try to follow the direction as much as I can but my stuff doesn't hatch after 24 or 36 hours. Very little hatch after 24 hours. A little more after 36. Most hatch after 48 hours and some more after 60 hours. The only thing I don't check is the temp. It's inside an room and I have a T5 light right next to it. I guess it's warm enough. Most people don't use heater on their setup. What the heck am I doing wrong here??
    I must be the only one who has problem hatching BBS :bigsmile: ...

2. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

http://www.sfbb.com/hatchingbshrimp.html

The rate of hatching brine is very sensitive to temperature. Most of your eggs should hatch in 24 hours if the temperature is roughly 82°F (28°C). If the temperature is only 70°F (21°C), you might have to wait up to 36 hours to get a good hatch. By increasing the temperature, you increase the rate of hatching. But be careful. As the temperature exceeds 86°F (30°C), you become more likely to loose the whole Hatch. Be safe- hatch between 82°-86°F (28°-30°C)!

3. Eight

Eight Guest

Do you have a slow air pump bubbling into the hatching container?

I use one of those cheap plastic hatcheries which uses an old 2 liter plastic bottle. No heater, no light even, just an airpump slowly bubbling into the bottom.

Most of mine hatch within 36 hours, but not all.

4. Elite

Elite Guest

Most setup I see don't have any heater just room temp. Some don't even have light on top of it. I have light and air pump. I guess I'm ok with them not hatching after 24 hours since I don't need that much anyway. It's just bother me a bit because I can't hatch them like everyone else LOL ..

5. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

The can itself has complete instructions, proper temp, light, etc. One thing though, if you're keeping them in the freezer you should pull the amount you want a day prior and let it warm up. Not doing that can delay the hatch by 24 hours.

Phong I told you to keep it warm. I always do mine in a heated bath of water. Place the hatchery in a small tank and heat the tank water. That's how I do it and I get 80%-90% in 24 hours usually.

http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/c173/Hatching-Brine-Shrimp-Cysts-c169.html