Have a BUNCH of frags to sell? Maybe a Frag Flea market?

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by kinetic, Sep 28, 2007.

1. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

I was just thinking, I have a TON of frags I need to sell, (plenty left for BAR frag swaps however =) but it's hard to just have like a day where you ask people to come over and pickup.

Maybe we should put together a very informal kind of flea market, where one day we just get together, heat up the bbq, and hang out together, but at the same time bring all our frags for sale for people to buy.

We would basically post what we had, find the buyers, and bring them for them. And we just make it a nice hangout bbq!

I know I have like a few dozen frags or more to get rid of in a few weeks.

What do you guys think?

2. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Sure, it could be on a month where there isn't a general meeting. There were some suggestions for equipment at the flea market as well.

Preferably a non-BOD member would organize it. I'll volunteer to bbq though :D

3. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Oh I'll come just for Norm's bbq!

But I thought of something like a frag-garage sale sometime back, but then I could just see the potential insurance problems with a dozen plus people with little tanks inside a garage with electrcity running all over the place and people coming over :D

4. tuberider

tuberider Guest

I think it's a pretty good idea, I would think the corals would be brought in individual containers. No need to setup tanks. I'd volunteer my place, but it's in a land far, far away.

5. nukeproof

nukeproof Guest

I'll make some frags just so that I could have some of Norm's BBQ. I still talk about the smoked ribs that he made a while back. :D

6. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

I'll try to organize something =)

7. Paradox

Paradox Guest

My place is also available. I live in a loft in SF, so I have a large room with a giant table for frags or food heh. No BBQ, but potluck always works. Im in Portrero SF with plenty of parking and right off freeway..

Thats if you dont mind my spooky decor and my GF's yappy weiner dog =)

8. tuberider

tuberider Guest

You're gonna get a yappy weiner dog at my place too!!!

9. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

wow, so many weiners...

10. patchin

patchin Facilities / Event Coordinator

Sounds like fun. Wish I had frags to sell. I guess I'd have to buy then.

11. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

[quote author=patchin link=topic=2454.msg25228#msg25228 date=1191018635]
    Sounds like fun. Wish I had frags to sell. I guess I'd have to buy then.
    [/quote]

Or just come by and hangout. I'm thinking we'll do a BBQ, rent Blue Planet or something, and just hang out. People who want to buy our frags would just come by and hangout or just pickup frags. super chill day.

12. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Art, you mean like a garage sale? That means we all get to bring our own lawn chairs!!!

13. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=2454.msg25236#msg25236 date=1191024936]
    Art, you mean like a garage sale? That means we all get to bring our own lawn chairs!!!
    [/quote]

Garage sale works too. I think Flea Market entails a truck, a rug, and some goods that "fell off the truck".

But this would be like a regional garage sale, with food, hanging out, watching a dvd, weiners, and more.

14. Apon

Apon Volunteer

MARS did a garage sale thing...they had tables and stuff out. You will need to get a big enough space for this, like a big parking lot. Now Frags are different, you would need power for the tanks... fun idea if you get enough interest

15. tuberider

tuberider Guest

I figgure if items are packaged properly you don't really need power other than an outlet for light. It doesn't need to be like a CFM, just some frags in containers that are at a reasonable temp. As far as equipment, perhaps we could have a list prior to the event that outlines what individuals are bringing, or bring a list yourself at the event that indicates the same. That way everyone doesn't need to setup a table and sit there. I feel an event like a Flea mkt/Garage sale is as much club members co-mingling and getting to know each other, and helping a brother out, as it is a way to tell our significant other, "see look honey the hobby is really paying off". Space is the commodity here.

BTW, I love BBQ

16. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

I don't know if we're going to make it such a HUGE event. Maybe just like a handful of those interested. It'll be run very ad hoc, and we will just bring frags that we KNOW people will be picking up, thus containers just like a frag swap.

I'm thinking one backyard for like 12 people to hang out, maybe more, should be good. I didn't think of making this a huge event... since it's not a frag swap freebie coral thing. Of course we can also do trades and what not ;)

I'll whip something together soon. IN the meantime, keep posting suggestions and ideas =)

17. TimTen

TimTen Guest

I think this is a great Idea. I have a ton of small items that I would like to try and sell, just to lazy to fig a price, take a picture, post, and finally arrange a pic up.

18. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

I think pickup is the hardest thing. If they just want one small frag, or one tiny ball valve, it's hard to get things together.

If they want stuff from like 3 people, AND norman's bbq'ing, someone's surely going to want to stop by.

19. patchin

patchin Facilities / Event Coordinator

I think the associationwith you cool people will draw thousands! Well at least 10.

20. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Well if you're going to have containers, then you're basically just doing online sales en masse. To be like a garage sale you need to have your junk on display and let people look at it :D