High Tide Aquatics

have anyone Try Chemi-Clean?

My tank been having Cynobacteria Outbreak for awhile, most of the time it's under control, but I;m getting tired of it so I came across of Chemi-Clean. I was looking through my old days drawer with all the saltwater tank stuff, which I use to have a small 20gallon FOWLR tank. It was years ago... I remember using it but I couldn't remember the results so have you guys try it? Tell me about your procedures and results? I would like to know.

Still need water changed and to eliminate source of phosphates (overfeeding)
Would recommend GFO & Carbon

GFO = granular ferric oxide. ie...stuff that takes phosphates out of the water :D

i've heard that chemi clean works but you still need to change the habits that are creating the cyano. bombing your tank with chemi clean only solves the problem temporarily...if that.

6 hours of halides per day is plenty. before and after can be actinics/small leds for viewing etc.

Icon-Yes, I agree Chemi-Clean is a temporarily fix too, I just want to try it once and see what it's like. I heard great reviews from customers on Marinedep. If that Doesn't work, then I will have to find another solution. The old fashion way, scrub and change water. Where can i get GFO?

My plan is to:
-I aready added Chemi-Clean
-Monday lower my light schedule from 16:00-00:00 to 18:00-00:00
-Tuesday 2.5 Gallon water Changes
+Add Carbons
-Friday scrub the area affected
+1 gallon water

For a nano, you're better off just doing a ton of big water changes.

People have crashed their tanks with Chemi-Clean due to dropping dissolved oxygen levels. It won't happen every time, so it can fool you. Depends on temperature, circulation, ventilation, amount of cyano.

Even if you use Chemi-Clean, you have to do a bunch of water changes afterwards, so you might as well just skip the chemicals.

iCon said:

Pretty sure cyanobacteria don't require much in the way of PO4. You can have cyano with zero phosphates and zero nitrates (as tested in the water column) to to make matters worse :(

GreshamH said:
iCon said:

Pretty sure cyanobacteria don't require much in the way of PO4. You can have cyano with zero phosphates and zero nitrates (as tested in the water column) to to make matters worse :(

Really? I always linked cyano to po4s and low flow. What would cause it if not those two? I mentioned po4s because I remember a previous thread stating him wanting to make sure his fish had enough to eat :D

Cyano can fix atmospheric nitrogen in the form of N2, they do not need a source of organic nitrogen or PO4. If you believe in evolution you understand that a creature had to start somewhere, even prior to there being any carbon based life here on earth, that's where Cyano started, it got the ball rolling so to speak.

IME, having a clean sand bed goes a long way in destroying cyano, make sure to have plenty of sand sifting going on and you may see your Cyano disappear.

My tank clock zero reading in Nitrate, Nitrite, Amonnia and Phosphate. So it's extreme tough fight against it. My hermit crabs are stupi because I bought 10 and only 2 survive because they end up boxing each other out. I did have some snails, they are stupid too because they climb over to the fuge. I don't have any sand shifter now, but I'm thinking of buying an algae blenny and another couple of emerald C.

Link, try some Nassarius snails, they are one of the only critters that can keep your sand bed turned over that won't out grow your tank or starve.

I have plenty of room for a fighting conch I believe. I used to have fighting conch, but my tank crashed, which that were years ago. They are perfect sandshifter and I have over 1'x1'feet area if I add all the empty areas around it. Snails... N. Snail, will they climb over to the sump or window? My tank is open top.

nanocube-guy said:
I have plenty of room for a fighting conch I believe. I used to have fighting conch, but my tank crashed, which that were years ago. They are perfect sandshifter and I have over 1'x1'feet area if I add all the empty areas around it. Snails... N. Snail, will they climb over to the sump or window? My tank is open top.

Not usually. They're perfect for your tank.

I thought fighting conchs should have a 2' x 2' area of sand for each one, I'm not an expert but i did read it in a forum which I guess makes me an expert. :bigsmile: Maybe they'll live in a smaller area for a while, but not sure if they'll get enough food to survive long term. I bet some of the real experts can chime in on how much space they need.

Back