got ethical husbandry?

Hawaii snorkeling and diving pics

Here are some of my snorkeling and diving pics from my trip to the Big Island of Hawaii. The snorkeling pics obviously come out better because the water is so shallow. Don't think it's possible to get rid of the washed out look from my dive photos with my point and shoot camera. Enjoy! I'll be sure to post a couple pics and videos from the manta ray snorkeling adventure later!

http://picasaweb.google.com/durtsay/HawaiiSnorkelAndDivePics?feat=directlink

Nice, you got to do the manta dive. Did you get to see Big Bertha?

The big island doesn't have any acros to speak of but man some of the montis are incredible.

Didn't get a chance to see Big Bertha based on the markings. But there were about 4 mantas swimming around for us. Here are a few pics that I took of the mantas. They don't come out that well because of all the stuff reflecting the light in the water. I'll also post a couple videos when I get the chance:

http://picasaweb.google.com/durtsay/MantaRaySnorkelDive?feat=directlink

I had a part in my video that had her literally inches from my head. Guess she was attracted to the light shining off the top of my head.

seminolecpa said:
The big island doesn't have any acros to speak of but man some of the montis are incredible.

Yeah, the montis definitely were incredible. I wish my attempts at taking pics of them came out better to better illustrate the colors. Maybe I'll invest in a better camera someday...but the tank upgrade is higher priority!

seminolecpa said:
I had a part in my video that had her literally inches from my head. Guess she was attracted to the light shining off the top of my head.

Very cool...it's amazing how close they get to you. One of my pics illustrate how close they get because all you can see are it's gills!

Great pics BTW> I do have some PS actions that help bring out some of the colors. let me see if I can find where I d/l them so I can pass them onto you :)

Yeah I noticed that about Maui, I didn't see a single acropora amongst the vast number of corals (read 2 or 3 spots :)) that I went to. Lots of those bushy type of stonies that remind me a lot of stylophora.

GreshamH said:
Great pics BTW> I do have some PS actions that help bring out some of the colors. let me see if I can find where I d/l them so I can pass them onto you :)

Thanks Gresham. It's tough to replicate what the colors that you actually see down there. But then again, if I can't replicate the colors I see in my little 20 gallon tank, how am I supposed to do it in the ocean! Haha! Thanks for the PS actions when you find them. I'd love to try and touch some of them up.

Which is why I find it strange they have acropora in the public aquariusm, Wakiki, Maui Ocean center, granted I know they have very strict post-processing of any waste water but if they're that worried why would they even chance it?

Also the IMO the key to making the original colors come out is knowing what they looked like in the first place, here's one picture I did a quick tweak too, don't know if it really was a bit bland like that, or if the yellow tang was the only color that hit your eye but it's less blue :D I did the same with my Maui Ocean Center pictures, made a world of difference.

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/Hawaii 2009 185.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/pic-pp.jpg

Wow...looks better. Did you just lower the blue levels in PS? I've played around with the levels adjustment and I can see how knowing what it looks like helps you adjust it.

Yah it does send an odd message... do as we say, not as we do :)

Durwin, typically I'll just do "auto-levels" which removes that over wash of blue/green, then an auto-colors if it's needed, but again I need to know what it looks like to know if its needed. Usually with my camera I set the white balance before taking pictures as that typically deals with that over saturation of blue we see in our aquariums which really isn't there.

Back