Reef nutrition

Heat pack for the swap

Should we get some for people? Of course not for free but have them available so people can buy it if needed. Some of us are pretty far and we always stop here and there after the swap. I don't know how many lost frag after taking them home but I did lost several. I think part of the reason is the water got too cold.
Just a suggestion.. What do you guys think??
;D

BAR could get them from ASAP, but those will be far to big for a hobbyist size cooler. You'd end up cooking your frags :(

Uniheats are good for shipping.

For people that will be home in a few hours, the small 7 hour handwarmer kind at Big5/Sportmart/SportsAuthority would do.

Here's similar from Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/HeatMax-HotHands-2-Hand-Warmers-Pair/dp/B0002T72MI/sr=8-1/qid=1169192000/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-8992217-4078442?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods

I've heard of people using big heat packs and cooking stuff in their styros too.

Since most people will be in thier car, couldn't you use a
power inverter and a regular tank heater?

Cheapest inverter I've seen is around $10, and it plugs
into a cig lighter socket in your car. puts out 300 watts.

Norman - Since the cost is only a bit more, I think it's better to buy the 40-60 hours heatpack. The reason for that is people might get more than one. They can use it for shipping later if needed. But whatever works is fine with me.

Cits,
So how do you heat 4-10 bags with the tank heater???

If you read up on power inverters, all most all say not to use them with heaters, blow dryers, etc.

Having used thousands of heat packs, I can say for a fact a normal size Uniheat will cook your corals in a small box! No joke!

[quote author=Elite link=topic=1645.msg14912#msg14912 date=1169228369]

Cits,
So how do you heat 4-10 bags with the tank heater???

[/quote]

I would fill the ice chest partially with water and float the bags,
But I think GreshamH might have a point, I've not looked that deep into them.

I did a quck research on power inverters and people are using
them to run water heaters on RV's and boats and such.

Some have a better sine wave built in
http://www.roadtripamerica.com/dashboarding/Power-Inverters.htm

I guess it depends on what model you get.

How about making your own heat pack? I know it's possible to make them by filling a sock with uncooked rice, and microwaving it. People do this for arthritis or muscle pain stuff. I don't know how hot it gets or how long it lasts, probably doesn't last too long, but for short term it might work? I don't have a microwave, otherwise I'd experiment, but maybe someone out there can try it.

It depends on what type you get, ie. modified sine, etc. The cheapo's typically won't do it. You can power heaters for a while with them, but they usually end up popping the fuses and eventually burning the unit out. Again, voice of experience talking here :) I've fried a few :lol:

The bean bag/rice socks last about 5 - 15 minutes (boy they really help with a hurt back :) )

Yeah I have a "microwave blanket" that you basically toss in the microwave for 10 minutes and then toss in your bed (it's roughly the size of 12" x 18" and it stays warm for quite some time. In an insulated box, probably longer. However I would definately do a pre-test with that before bringing so you don't have Coral Soup as Gresham keeps warning :)

Of course my drive home is less than an hour so I'm not going to worry too much if the corals drop in temp too much.

Back