Heater boiled everything in my 100g tank.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by juanfdezdc, Jan 5, 2019.

1. jccaclimber

jccaclimber Supporting Member

Xcaret, I'm no there to see it, but is there a crack in the magnet/coil lining on the Male or female side of the impeller chamber? I've seen rust as an early warning sign there, although it's usually obvious once clean.

2. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

Left the parts soaking in vinegar, will report back on that.
    The downside (up for some of us) is the heat these little pumps generate, therefore thay are more prone to calcium making a good thick layer to thw point the impeller stalls.

3. I wonder if it's almost better just to plan on changing these every two years or so.

4. jccaclimber

At that point isn't it more cost effective long term to get a better pump that generates/retains less heat in that area so it doesn't gunk up?

5. I actually keep a nano pump in my sump in front of the heater and where I dose just to keep water moving.

6. jccaclimber

Why a nano pump vs cheap Aqueon or similar circulation pump?
    I dose in to my drain line to avoid precipitation, but it's a bit of a stab in the dark as I've never had an issue either way, thus I can't prove it helps.

7. The nano is in a smaller sump for my frag tank. If I had your 600 I'd use a bigger pump. :)

8. grizfyrfyter

grizfyrfyter Supporting Member

Some kind of heater controller is an absolute necessity. An stc-1000 controller is $20 but can be hot or miss on quality control.

A rancho controller is $40 I think and works well.

Apex Jr is a great choice but personally, get an apex that has more outlets and ph monitoring already.

Honestly, do this before you take any other steps to reboot. The peace of mind that comes with an apex is worth every penny. Being able to check on the tank anywhere you have internet access is great and you can even use a web cam to see everything.

9. juanfdezdc

juanfdezdc Guest

Thanks everybody, I'm going to start replying you all now.

I'm still busy cleaning and doing lots of water changes. I'm removing all rocks from the tank to be able to clean it deeply. And re-do my aquascape. I'm sure I'm going to need the whole day.

Coral reefer likes this.
  10. juanfdezdc

juanfdezdc Guest

Totally agree! Indeed I have decided not to buy cheap stuff anymore, I used to buy equipment in Amazon based on reviews, but not doing that anymore. Not buying again any tank equipment in Amazon just to save some or convenience.

11. juanfdezdc

juanfdezdc Guest

Thanks a lot for the recommendation, indeed I ordered the $35 Inkbird but then I cancelled. Decided to go to Neptune Aquatics and I bought a Aquatop DDC-800. It costed me $80 but it seems to be build specifically for aquariums, has alarms, etc...

Thanks for the frags offering, I appreciate it.

12. juanfdezdc

juanfdezdc Guest

I ended up going to Neptune and bought a Aquatop DDC-800 for $80. Will start to investigate about Apex

13. juanfdezdc

juanfdezdc Guest

Thanks a lot for your words Bruce! I just bought a digital controller heater but as you just said, I'm going to start to investigate how the APEX works and might buy one, then use 2 heaters... basically, I'm going to start building for redundancy to avoid this happening again.

Thanks a lot for your frag offering!

14. juanfdezdc

juanfdezdc Guest

Thanks a lot Glee for your offering, much appreciated. In my previous tank the RBTAs were multiplication no stop all the time. Now as some members are recommending, I'm thinking over what type of corals and fish I want to have in this restart. Thanks again.

15. juanfdezdc

juanfdezdc Guest

I'll check about the algae if the cloudiness persist in the water. Thanks for the recommendation.
    I'll also put 2 heaters in the tank, for sure. Both controlled.

16. juanfdezdc

juanfdezdc Guest

No, I don't have GFO. I use lots of bio filter material but no GFO.
    Thanks Mario, I'll give you back the bigger yellow one that I'm not using.

17. Ranjib Dey

Ranjib Dey Guest

We are very sorry . We hope we’ll be able to help you out with restocking things

18. juanfdezdc

juanfdezdc Guest

I'm definitely going to be reading during the next week about all types of Apex and will get one.
    Phase 2 will be to think what to do is an emergency happens while I'm traveling...

19. grizfyrfyter

grizfyrfyter Supporting Member

The best thing for that is get to know your club members. No one better to handle a major issue while you aren't home.

20. Ranjib Dey

Ranjib Dey Guest

Was your heater old ? And what brand it was ?