Neptune Aquatics

Heater holder

Can you tell I'm bored?? LOL ;D

Ignore the red ink.. Don't know why it's there but it will be sanded and flame polished ;D :D ..

The other side will be for the temp and pH probes if I can figure it out how to make it.

heaterholder.jpg

heaterholder2.jpg

heaterholder1.jpg

[quote author=Roc link=topic=5116.msg63020#msg63020 date=1226193172]
Can you make me one...........
[/quote]
;D where are you gonna hang it? I made this to fit on a 1/4" acrylic prefectly. The diameter of your heater and where you want to hang it are the most important part.. It's really easy to bend acrylic. Just heat up your oven to 300 and toss the acrylic piece in there. When it flexible enough, take it out and bend it. Remove the paper or the plastic cover before put it in the oven (learn that the hard way :D).. Oh and wear glove ;) ..

[quote author=Tumbleweed link=topic=5116.msg63021#msg63021 date=1226193669]
Yeah you are right. Way too much free time on your hands.
Nice though
[/quote]

hahaha .. thanks :D

Aren't you worried about the acrylic being right up against the heater? I mean the top part looks fine, but the bottom loop looks like it's right against the heating elements.

worry about heat?? Take 300 degree just to soften the acrylic. Don't people just toss the heater in their acrylic sump?? I think it will be fine but only time will tell.

I was worried about the heat in my acrylic sump so I just made "buffers" out of vinyl tubing. I slid the heaters in the tube and dropped right in the sump. I doubt they can transfer much heat to the acrylic now.

so the vinyl tubing can handle heat better?? Fixing the touching part is easy.. Just want to know if the heater can really cause the problem..

Doubt it will cause any trouble at low wattage but I did meet a guy whose 1000W heater caused his acrylic to melt which eventually caused water to leak on wires and start a fire in his garage. Mind you his water level had dropped and the heater was laying on the acrylic dry. I think with water around it, there is no way it can cause any real trouble. I mean water can only get so hot. Well, that's actually up for debate but in general it holds true. So, I wouldn't worry about it in your case. Mine I just didn't want my two 300W heaters laying directly on the acrylic so I put vinyl around them. It doesn't transfer heat well and gives room for the water to flow around the heaters.

If you have 50W heater sitting on acrylic without water long enough, I'm sure it will burn/melt acrylic too. We will see happen when the tank is up and running.

As long as its under water, being in contact is not a problem. The outside of the heater never gets that hot because the water draws the heat away so efficiently.

Back