Hello everyone

Discussion in 'Welcome!' started by Ranjib Dey, Dec 13, 2016.

1. kriche28

kriche28 Guest

wow its really nice. did you upgrade your filter? im not sure if i saw a HOB in there.

2. Ranjib Dey

Ranjib Dey Webmaster

regarding filtration. I got rid of the stock filtration. Back chamber is all LR rubble (from my BC29), Return pump is Rio+ 90, and a heater (aqueon 20W). I do 90% WC weekly, religiously. If I find anything out of bound (zoas are not opening, or algae or anything dirty), I throw in a small amount of BRS carbon. Couple of months before I added an AquaClear 20 HoB filter. But I only use it thursday -> saturday, occasionally. I have an air pump hooked to. At times I use it, in-stead of the filtration (medications, chemiclean to cleanse the tank).

3. Ranjib Dey

Ranjib Dey Webmaster

It's not obvious :)
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BQdaexAB4yD/
    I have done a good job then. There's a digital thermometer also, if you notice, on top of the job filter. Both my Pico has one hob filter now.

4. kriche28

kriche28 Guest

you really did a good job on your tanks

I see on your tank that the water is not all the way on the top.
    Should it be better that way?
    I am kind of new on the SW hobby.:)

5. Ranjib Dey

Ranjib Dey Webmaster

Yeah, I find it better this way, and I have actually spent quiet some time tinkering with the water level :). Imagitarium 3.7 G has the return nozzle in that height. What I found is that unless the water height (when the return pump is running) very close to to that nozzle, there wont be much surface movement, and thin film of oil (or something sticky/foamy) accumulate on top. I noticed the exact same problem with fluval spec 3 also. I wonder if deflector will be useful, but in pico tanks we dont have much room for anything. I am really curious about the actual water chemistry changes. I hope once I hook up pH/ORP probes it will reveal something

6. Ranjib Dey

Ranjib Dey Webmaster

Recently upgraded the Pico lighting to kessil. Also, bc29 now has a proper stand now.
    IMG_20170213_090755_108.jpg
    The fluval spec 3 now looks lot better
    download_20170213_005800.jpg
    Meanwhile I'm giving away lot of my older corals, since they are taking over the rocks. And I want to clean up the bc29 and keep slow growing corals. Last one year I have learned a lot, and gained some confidence
    IMG_20170214_134434_480.jpg

Attached Files:

7. MolaMola

MolaMola Supporting Member

Looks great! I like the open aquascaping in your BC29. Nice levels.
    Is your BC29 really loud with no top on it?

8. Ranjib Dey

Ranjib Dey Webmaster

Sometimes. The water flow from first chamber to media basket makes some stream like noise. It's easy to fix, either add extra filterpad on media basket, or adjust the water flow fixture . When I'm lazy after wc, I leave it unadjusted (It is removed during filter media changes). Some days in just like that sound. Light, return , vortech all are silent.

9. Ranjib Dey

Ranjib Dey Webmaster

Current FTS of biocube 29:

fts_bc29.jpg

Alveopora
    alveo.jpg

Side view

fts_bc_29_side.jpg

Close up, LA lakers

la_lakers_close.jpg

Some of the SPS (non montipora/stylophora) have finally started to grow...

sps_1.jpg

10. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Member

Looking good!

11. DEATH BY SNU SNU

DEATH BY SNU SNU Supporting Member

I dig the side view!

12. Ranjib Dey

Ranjib Dey Webmaster

Me too. I am aggressively removing liams clove on that valley. It progress slowly from leptos, goniopora then finally the sps on top. Those capricornis looks stellar in the background.
    But I am still not there in term of sps. Red planet , millipora etc are not growing anywhere.. tenius, and couple of other acros stated growing once I started dosing. All sorta monto, stylophora, birdsnest all were easy... similar to lps.

I am having different challenges with the lps.. they are outgrowing .. I think i have to frag the frogspawn and hammer..

13. DEATH BY SNU SNU

What are you dosing now? Acro Power, Reef roids? 2 part?

14. Ranjib Dey

Ranjib Dey Webmaster

2 part. 5ml every week , sometime after 4 days. It was manual till recently, moving to doser in this week .

15. DEATH BY SNU SNU

5 ml every week, that means corals are not using very much.... i dose 50 ml of 2 part every day....

16. Ranjib Dey

Ranjib Dey Webmaster

AF514415-1FAC-45BC-BC8A-6F956E19378B.jpeg

One of the other pico

17. Ranjib Dey

Ranjib Dey Webmaster

It’s a 29g biocube , mixed reef

DEATH BY SNU SNU likes this.
  18. DEATH BY SNU SNU

yea that makes sense.

19. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Member

In each tank?

20. Kremis

Kremis Supporting Member

if you ever have a frag of Lakers for sale Pm me :)

Ranjib Dey likes this.