Our mission

Hello from Sac

Welcome, you should start a tank thread on your 75G Reef. Just take a few pics and tell us about your setup. What kind of lighting, what fish, coral, etc. Sometimes you can get some great pointers on here. LOT's of knowledge here!

I'll try to grab some real pictures sometime. My only headaches are a Rodi unit that's only dropping tds from 150 to 90 so I have a lot of diatom algae, and my berlin skimmer sucks. I got some new snails (last ones died when sump light caught fire and fell into the tank) a conch and an urchin are getting fat on it though.

I'll try to grab some real pictures sometime. My only headaches are a Rodi unit that's only dropping tds from 150 to 90 so I have a lot of diatom algae, and my berlin skimmer sucks. I got some new snails (last ones died when sump light caught fire and fell into the tank) a conch and an urchin are getting fat on it though.

Wow, that's a pretty high TDS. Have you tried new DI resin and a new membrain?? I would guess phosphates are a bigger problem than the TDS though. Might consider a GFO reactor. That said.............is this a new tank? Diatom is to be expected during the cycling process. Maybe it's just cycling?

My Urchin is quite a good cleaner. It does knock over a lot of coral though.

My tank is new though already cycled. It's had fish for about a month. I've replaced every filter, resin, the membrane and even the flow restrictor in my unit. It was used so I'm about ready to just toss it and get a new one.

My nitrates are steady at 10 and my phosphates are around 0.25 but that's the same reading I get on my ro water. I lost some corals during the sump light fire Incident but I still have a handful of happy frags. I'm on a tight budget. I currently have 2 250w pendants on the tank and I'm trying to scavenge cash for a dual t5 fixture, a skimmer upgrade and a reactor to run gfo and Carbon through.

Sorry about the fire. Bummer.

Water changes can fix a lot, but sounds like a fix to the water situation is the first priority. I like your plan, seems like it will address a lot of things. Good luck, problem solving is part of the fun!

I've done several small water changes totalling about 90% in the 10 days since. The critters seem to be back to normal. Lost 2 Monti frags I really liked and a torch frag. Almost lost the Duncans and the purple hammer but they pulled through. Green Palys are all brown but open and close. New additions are happy, i'd be happier if the clowns knew what an anemone was for.

I've done several small water changes totalling about 90% in the 10 days since. The critters seem to be back to normal. Lost 2 Monti frags I really liked and a torch frag. Almost lost the Duncans and the purple hammer but they pulled through. Green Palys are all brown but open and close. New additions are happy, i'd be happier if the clowns knew what an anemone was for.

It's mathematically more impactful to do less and larger water changes than several smaller ones. You aren't really replacing much with such small water changes. Wasn't sure if you were already aware of that but figured I'd run it by you. :)

I was aware but I was also trying not to change anything quickly and cause more stress. I probably only reduced what ever the problem was by half with those water changes.

My fish were fine but the corals were bothered, all of my snails died, my conch didn't move for almost a week (he's fine now) and I'm pretty sure all of my pods died.

I tested for copper and got nothing. I've been running carbon but it's just in a bag in my sump, better than nothing but I need a reactor. Cheato has been growing like crazy though. I got a sandwich bag of it a few weeks ago and it has doubled in size.

New fts.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1374858071943.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374858071943.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 237
Back