Kessil

Help me stock my 20G frag tank

The Zoas in my JBJ 20G frag tank are really starting to look poor. I am fairly certain it is not pests. I do have some of the clear flatworms in there, but I don't ever see them on the Zoas themselves, and I am slowly irradiating them by vacuuming them out weekly.

The tank currently has only zoanthids and a couple very small LPS frags. I am just starting to think that there is not enough fish waste in the tank to keep the nutrients high enough for the zoas to thrive on...This is only my theory.

Currently there are only 5 trochus snails and an army of little babies in the tank. I do feed it some frozen food a couple times a week to keep the bio filtration alive.

My current thinking is a yellow coris wrasse and a bowl of sand to help with the flatworms and maybe something like a couple firefish, or clowns or something.

But I'd like them to all help with the tank more than just waste. A ytelolow tang would be awesome, but this tank is way too small for that.

Suggestions?

Algae control in a 20 gallon? Go for Mollies! :)

Yellow eye Kole tangs are 'ok' in a 20 as well. Clowns or Firefish aren't "worker" fish, but good choices for color. I love Possum wrasses for a small tank as well.

Bad Bruce bad!

I dont want to act all tang policey but no tang is suitable for a 20g tank unless its a tiny version that is being used as a QT or hospital tank

I don't really disagree with you, but it is the smallest and friendliest of the Tangs. If you get one around an 1 1/2-2" it's just fine in a 20 gasllon for at least 2-3 years and frankly, even a full size one many years down the road is only about 5" and would be fine in 35 gallons or so. They are not as big of swimmers as the larger tangs and can pick all day around fairly small areas.

I don't really disagree with you, but it is the smallest and friendliest of the Tangs. If you get one around an 1 1/2-2" it's just fine in a 20 gasllon for at least 2-3 years and frankly, even a full size one many years down the road is only about 5" and would be fine in 35 gallons or so. They are not as big of swimmers as the larger tangs and can pick all day around fairly small areas.

Yeah I agree with you as well.

I’ve never even heard of possum wrasses. I’ll look into them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back