Neptune Aquatics

Help me with my zoa

So up until today there was nothing wrong with my zoa colony and then I noticed this and the heads around it were not fully open. It kind looks like sores on the zoa skin any ideas?
43709ed5d54897cd02300082449afb9f.jpg

Did you dip the corals before you added them to the tank? Look like bite marks. Look for nudibranchs.

Also noticed that you added a flame angel. There is a chance it is nibbling at the zoas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so my lights went dark and went to check on my tank and noticed an asterina star on one of the poly I think that's what has been bitting my coral. I also saw another half on my agave colony. Grabbed my tweezers and pulled them out. I hope that was the last of them. Do you have experience with those stars

Here are my guesses as to why your zoas look bad
  • Your flame angel biting them.
  • Asterina stars/other zoa pests biting/irritating them
  • Your alkalinity is unstable going down between water changes and up when you do water changes.
  • Your zoas are getting too much/not enough light
  • Zoas are weird and sometimes they just close and melt for no reason.
Most people think zoas are hella easy to keep and sure this is true for common zoas like eagle eyes, radioactive dragons, pinwheels, but when you start keeping wild/designer/collector/high end zoas they can be finicky and melt for no reason at all.

I hope it's not the angel haven't seen him after the corals. He's fighting his own thing. Picked another star that was in the orange colony again that makes 4 of these *****

Check very carefully around the polyps, I had a similar issue a while back; a zoa garden that suddenly was not opening as usual. I found nudis; very hard to spot but once you see one then you'll know what to look for. Look for a spiral mass around the base of the zoanthids, if you find that, those are eggs.
Good luck

Back