help need id on nudi

Discussion in 'Fish and Invertebrates' started by JRocha, May 24, 2010.

1. JRocha

JRocha Supporting Member

I was cleaning my sump today and found a nudi I believe that is brown with white polka dots. Very weird and beautiful. Any ideas. Gonna post a pic in a few minutes.

2. JRocha

JRocha Supporting Member

here it is. i have it in my sump in a tupperware.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. JRocha

JRocha Supporting Member

side view
    [​IMG]

4. Thales

Thales Past President

Looks like a flatworm. No idea what it eats.

5. JRocha

JRocha Supporting Member

This thing is over 1 inch big, do flatworms get that big. Was in my sump and there are no corals just rocks and macro algae. Need to know cause its sitting in a container waiting to see if it lives or dies

6. Thales

Thales Past President

Yep, some get larger. There are a bagillion kins of flatworm

7. JRocha

JRocha Supporting Member

Damn so should I just kill the guy or what

8. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Looks like one of the known predators of corals, but, like Rich said, there's a bagilion kinds of flatworms and plenty look the same.

9. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

BTW - telling a nudi from a flatworm is pretty easy. Nudi's have "naked gills" (the ruffles you see on their backs) and flatworms not only don;t ahve it, they're well, flat :)

10. yardartist

yardartist Guest

Pulled one of these almost two inches long from my tank about two weeks ago. Jim and Robert both saw it. It is wild to see it move in the water under the rock I was lifting. The current had it frilled out and floating. Never saw it even looking at the tank by flashlight. It moves very quickly so could have easily missed it. Search acanthozoon.

11. JRocha

JRocha Supporting Member

Well its good to know. Looks like its on death row. Death comes tonight

12. nudibranch

nudibranch Guest

You need to kill it before it reproduces or escapes. Also unless you know it is reef safe you need to get rid of it.

13. Thales

Thales Past President

I'd just put it back in the sump.

14. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

I'd set it up in its own nano tank :D

15. GDawson

GDawson Guest

Yeah, it's a risky proposition but if it’s been in there that long and hasn't caused you any damage to date why not? It didn’t get that big overnight. OTOH if you just setup your tank and it was only a few weeks old then I’d say flush it. (I don’t recall how old your setup is…)

-Gregory

16. yardartist

yardartist Guest

The only thing I can think of it coming in on would have been over 8 months back. The only 'change' I noticed in my tank is the astrea snails going out. They had been in over a year so age? Also with a few abalone shells newly drifting I wondered if it was feeding on the mollusks. You loosing snails too?

I left it with Robert. I think he is starting a cap prop program. :bigsmile:

17. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Why not email Dr Leslie Harris and ask her? I can pretty much guarantee she'll know this one. If I wanted to blow a part of my day I could ID it as well as I have seen dozens of threads on that one. It's mentioned in several books as well.

18. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

PM'd Dr Harris on another forum.

19. nudibranch

nudibranch Guest

Look on these websites it probably will help you identify it.

http://www.seaslugforum.net/

http://www.nudipixel.net/

20. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Dr Leslie Harris helps out on both of those website IIRC. She has been sent a link to this thread and the picture as well.