Reef nutrition

Help - Overflow/return pump issue

Not sure what’s going on……
The tank has been setup for 3 weeks now just doing its thing and settling in. This morning I noticed that the water level has risen to the top of the glass lid and the sump was way down. Up until now the overflow and return pump have worked just fine together, but now the pump is faster than the overflow. On the chance that it was just a gradual thing that I didn’t notice I unplugged the pump and let the sump fill again to the proper level. After plugging the pump back in the sump level dropped within a couple of minutes. At this rate I’m going to need to chuck some water so the tank doesn’t overflow onto the floor.

Why would the overflow slow down? Or why would the pump speed up? Or am I just doing it wrong?

-Gregory

+1.
I had a snail make it's way to mine..resulted in a couple of gallons on the floor. If it's more gradual, sounds like it could be algae in the overflow. What kind of overflow are you using? I assume you're topping off since the level isn't just falling in the sump but also rising in the display

Raddogz said:
Check overflow pipe - something may be blocking the drain

Nope - Box and pipes are clear and the whole assembly is visible. Everything looks good.

Wondering if the water level was too high in the tank for the overflow (like it needs some air to be sucked in as well) I chucked some water to see of it would make a difference. The water level in the sump just dropped further ( I may have to unplug the heaters soon). At least the floor is safe now.

-Gregory

Do you have a ball valve attached to your return pump? That's a good way to control the flow into the drain. Did you just clean your pump, resulting in higher flow? My first thought was also something blocking the drain.

iCon said:
+1.
I had a snail make it's way to mine..resulted in a couple of gallons on the floor. If it's more gradual, sounds like it could be algae in the overflow. What kind of overflow are you using? I assume you're topping off since the level isn't just falling in the sump but also rising in the display

No, no snail (the tanks empty except for some rock and one lone hermit). I don't top off either. The whole assembly is clear and i don't see any obstructions. The intake is just slower for some reason. But everything coming into the overflow is going right through. There is no back-up in the overflow box, so the slowdown needs to been in the actual intake and "up and over" bend. I don't know the brand as it came with the setup, but it looks kust like the ones from CPR that were at BAYMAC with two leads/drains down. Hang-on type.

-Gregory

99sf said:
Do you have a ball valve attached to your return pump? That's a good way to control the flow into the drain. Did you just clean your pump, resulting in higher flow? My first thought was also something blocking the drain.

No, ball valve but that may be an added accessory today. Nope, didn't clean the pump either. It's very odd. I'm just glad I was home.

-Gregory

You could clamp down the return line some until you find out why all the pump volume is not flowing back by gravity through the current pipes. I keep mine partially closed all the time. The return is too much flow.

tuberider said:
Is there any air trapped in the overflow? What type of pump are you using to clear any bubbles that make their way into the overflow?

Ding ding ding ding ding! We have a winner.

The tubing with the siphon that pulls the air out had somehow stopped. (Time for an aqualifter?) The darker colored plastic of the box made it hard to see the air in there.

Thank you everybody!

-Gregory

iCon said:
Hmm - Well, you need to top off, but not when this is happening.

Yes, a top off is in the cards BEFORE I add animals/corals. I'm taking everything very slowly. Today I'm doing some aquascaping as I was sooooooo inspired at BAYMAC. The guy on the left was robbed in the competition (thanks for the help with the overflow Tuberider!)

-Gregory

Hmm - Well, you need to top off, but not when this is happening. With 3 weeks behind you without problems, I don't think it's an issue of too much flow for the overflow. Probably would have had this issue a long time ago. Sounds like the overflow box could be too high in the tank or somehow got pushed up in the tank? Check the water level in the overflow box in comparison to the water level in the display. It should be lower than the display water level...If even adjustable.. I don't think CPR ones are.. If you could, post a pic of the overflow since you're not sure of the brand etc.

Also, does your drain piping go straight down? or are there loops and folds in it?

HMMM. Is there a prefilter over the drain pipes??? If so, take that off... May have become clogged over the 3 weeks... It'll get loud and gurgle but I'd check that.

Back