Jestersix

---Help--- psk-2500 skimmer pump replacement???

Hi all

I am running 2 sicce psk 2500 on my skimmer and just noticed that in one of them the wire striped where it enters the pump(AS you can see in the picture). The pump still works just fine as the wires inside are still fine but I am afraid to submerge it so I am thinking on replacing the pump.
When I got the pumps they where the best you can get but don't know if is still the case, should I replace it with the same as I can get one for under $100 or is there something better in the market these days? I can run my skimmer with one or two pump configuration so I am open to a single oversize pump or two smaller ones as I still have a good sicce 2500 left??

Thanks in advance

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_0521.jpg

Heck, I don't see copper yet :D
I heard Bubble Blaster is the new best thing.
There may be a retrofit for that skimmer.

Bubble blaster is okay. A bit noisy, screws tend to rust, and plastic become very brittle at about 2 year old. I like Sicce (with the exception of the old PSK 2500...not enough torque) Syncra line a lot. Super quiet and amazing warranty.

robert4025 said:
Bubble blaster is okay. A bit noisy, screws tend to rust, and plastic become very brittle at about 2 year old. I like Sicce (with the exception of the old PSK 2500...not enough torque) Syncra line a lot. Super quiet and amazing warranty.

Yes, what is it with those screws. Mine are rusting also. Grrr.
(I am otherwise happy though)

I can run my skimmer with one or two pump configuration so I am open to a single oversize pump or two smaller ones as I still have a good sicce 2500 left??

What kind of skimmer is it? If both pumps are feeding air and water into the skimmer from the sump you're kind of stuck with two. You probably could rig up some system where you block the other inlet hole and it may work in the short term... but then again it might not make enough bubbles to bring your foam level up high enough.

Not to mention the skimmer I'm guessing is designed for two pumps, so even if you do get away with one pump, you're not going to get the same effectiveness out of it.

The skimmer has been running on a one pump configuration for few days now an its been doing pretty good for now. I'm still in the market for a second pump as I want to make sure I maximize the performance f the skimmer, so far I am leaning towards the sicce syncra silent as it looks like Neptune caries them and they seem to be suitable for use on a skimmer. The psk-6000 seems to be a good alternative too ...

Here is a quick video of my skimmer.

http://youtu.be/iZgYWgyclqI

sfsuphysics said:
I can run my skimmer with one or two pump configuration so I am open to a single oversize pump or two smaller ones as I still have a good sicce 2500 left??

What kind of skimmer is it? If both pumps are feeding air and water into the skimmer from the sump you're kind of stuck with two. You probably could rig up some system where you block the other inlet hole and it may work in the short term... but then again it might not make enough bubbles to bring your foam level up high enough.

Not to mention the skimmer I'm guessing is designed for two pumps, so even if you do get away with one pump, you're not going to get the same effectiveness out of it.
sfsuphysics said:

The skimmer is a Gray Seas Aquatics GS2 skimmer now known as AVAST marine. Its made with two inlets but can be run with one or two pumps, just cap the second inlet if not in use. It does change the rating of the skimmer once you change the number of pumps, I believe it was 200g of heavy bio-load with one pump and 300g of heavy bio-load with two pumps.

Great video, thanks for showing it off. Looks like a nice system. Now to see the tank it's attatched to? :D

Very cool Mod!

MyReefMonkey said:
The screws get rusty because your GFO media was released into the tank. Stainless steel screws get gunked up when GFO is released into the tank.

Huh... so all my rusted SS with out any GFO is caused by what then? Sorry, SS rusts, no GFO or GFO.

BAYMAC said:
MyReefMonkey said:
The screws get rusty because your GFO media was released into the tank. Stainless steel screws get gunked up when GFO is released into the tank.

Huh... so all my rusted SS with out any GFO is caused by what then? Sorry, SS rusts, no GFO or GFO.

The idea is that iron in the water from GFO tends to be deposited on stainless steel.
Rust from an external source. Which is technically different.
That said, yes, stainless can rust as well.
So both correct.

rygh said:
BAYMAC said:
MyReefMonkey said:

The idea is that iron in the water from GFO tends to be deposited on stainless steel.
Rust from an external source. Which is technically different.
That said, yes, stainless can rust as well.
So both correct.

Yes, basic stuff that I learned in elementary school :lol:

Very little iron is released from GFO, nonissue. Cheap SS used in aquaria is usually the issue.

Back