got ethical husbandry?

Help with choosing tripod

I'm new to photography and was wondering what a good tripod under $200 would be. I was looking at someof the manfrottos priced at around $190. i think it was bn3001 or something close to that. Im into landscape photos.

What tripods do you guys use.

Im going to boston and new york this summer and want to use it for some night photgraphy and sunset photos.

Can't afford any of the carbon fiber ones so i'll be lugging around a heavy one.

sorry, some more info on Benro:

They had some agreement with Manfrotto/Bogen to design and produce to spec, bogen carbon fiber legs for a market in a country (which slips my mind atm) or countries which bogen either had no interest in going into, or could not get into. But then Benro decided to expand, so now you get Manfrotto quality CF for ridiculous amount of money.

In my experience, carbon fiber is definitely worth the extra $$. It's amazingly light and sturdy, and with your camera bag hanging from the anchor hook, will never fail you.

I personally have a CF tripod system from Feisol (feisol.com). Expensive but top notch, and cheaper than bogen ;)

Bogen legs are good, but HEAVY. Get the Benro CF legs and manfrotto head, you'll be set =)

[quote author=Raddogz link=topic=2049.msg20136#msg20136 date=1179172927]
Carbon fiber tripods are awesome, incredibly spendy though.

I have a Gitzo, which I regularly hang my telescope off of.
[/quote]

definitely spendy, but if you checkout the Benro legs, they're much cheaper than some of the manfrotto or gitzo legs that aren't CF... outperforming them in weight handling etc.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?shs=benro&ci=0&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=RootPage.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t

Yah, my Bogen is a TANK. Weighs more then my entire camerea bag filled with rocks :)

I've been using my Feisol (3401) for a few years now and love it. Really lightweight and amazingly sturdy enough to hold up a pretty heavy rig (D2X with 500mm f/4 AFS).

The extra weight savings is good for hiking and general usage.

Back