Neptune Aquatics

help with stand pipe design

I'm a bit stuck on the final piece of my new set up.

A little bit about the set up. I've designed a system where a 27H Refugium feeds a 55 gallon display, that is also fed by a scwd. The display overflows to a 20 gallon sump and water is then fed back to the refugium and the display via a mag 12.

Everything is working well except that the piece that goes from the refugium to the display.

There has to be 6" of distance between the two tanks so that it will fit into the shelving unit I'm having built. It also has to empty to either the front, or back of the tank since I'll have two lighting units that take up the middle space.

Its keeping up flow-wise but is pouring a lot of bubbles into the display.

Any ideas for correcting this problem are welcome.

The bulkheads are 1" connected to 1 1/4" pipe and couplings.

here are a couple of pics, it might look like the pipe isn't entering the water in the display, but it is.

pipefront.jpg

pipeside.jpg

Thanks in advance for your input.

Jonah

You could try to diffuse the entry into your tank by adding a spray bar or similar? Is it the velocity of water entering the tank that is sucking in bubbles from the surface or are they getting into the pipe somehow?

I'm trying to have the bulkhead completely submerged, but I also have durso style air inlets to fight any siphoning effect, so there are a few points where air and water mix.

Here's what I have in my sump to avoid the same kind of scenario on my return - just give the trapped air somewhere to escape, works a treat for me ...

From the looks of it, you could lengthen that spool of pipe so that it goes under the waterline. It will be quiet and I'll bet it will get rid of the bubbles.

Ross, thanks for your input. It is below the waterline now and I'm still dealing with a lot of bubbles.

I guess the other point is that it just may not be something to be concerned about aside from aesthetics. I'm so paranoid about the bubble thing from keeping Sea Horses, but if its not a big deal for other species and for coral, then maybe I should just let it go.

Thanks!

Jonah

jonahshark said:
oh, so you'd suggest adding another air vent where the water comes back out into the tank?

Yup - I'd post a photo but I'm at work, but essentially just give the air a chance to escape and it should be fine.

Back